Oh, Brother, More Fry! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Oh, Brother, More Fry!

I am silent cycling a 25 gallon with new flourite. Its maybe two weeks old, don't remember. When I pulled a boatload of Lagarosiphon madagascariensis out of my 90 gallon day before yesterday, I decided to temporarily float it in the new 25 gallon in case I need it if another algae attack happens in a re-started 90 gallon.

Tonight as I was getting ready to dose a little bit of extra Excel in this 25 G tank I happened to notice about 15-20 tiny (one day old??) fry swimming all around the open area. I'm assuming they are Boesmani Rainbows. I guess there were a bunch of eggs in that plant. I don't have any micro foods, but I hope they make it on powdered flake.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 06:35 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Congrats on the fry!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 02:18 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Those are very small fry from Bosy's. I would suggest if you are really interested in keeping them, setup some green water in a window jar and dose it to the tank when ready in 24 hours using air tubing. They are VERY slow growing compared to most babies though so be prepared to have them around for a while.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Good to know. Not sure its going to be sunny enough for GW here, but I'll give it a go.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 02:59 PM

Congrats man! Your rainbows are beautiful, i bet they could probably survive in the planted tank if you have enough moss and such. I'm always tempted to leave fry in the planted tank. Partially because theyre so damn hard to get out.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well, I setup a gallon apple juice jar to culture some GW, or attempt to, considering our current grey skies.
But your right formerlyIan, I have two survivers who are coming on a month old and I never had GW. The new ones are in a "planted" tank, but its new. But about half of their 25 gallon tank is a giant mess of Lagarosiphon madagascariensis and egeria etc. from my 90 gallon. So maybe there are enough micro orgs floating from that to keep the majority of fry alive until I can get some GW soup.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess View Post
Well, I setup a gallon apple juice jar to culture some GW, or attempt to, considering our current grey skies.
But your right formerlyIan, I have two survivers who are coming on a month old and I never had GW. The new ones are in a "planted" tank, but its new. But about half of their 25 gallon tank is a giant mess of Lagarosiphon madagascariensis and egeria etc. from my 90 gallon. So maybe there are enough micro orgs floating from that to keep the majority of fry alive until I can get some GW soup.
First off some of the babies in the main tank will survive OK if not eaten and there is always infusoria in the tank they can feed on. As for the amount of light I live in Eugene Oregon and there's plenty of Liquid Sunshine here throughout most of the year so it's GW capable even with low light. To make sure you have something just add some liquid fry food or invert food or something like hay to the jar and you'll get some infusoria even without the green water. Still take about 24-48 hours at room temp.

If nothing produces in the jar just put a single 40-60 watt light bulb next to it someplace and leave it on 24 hours.

Here's a link for people interested:
http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Live...0Infusoria.htm

Good luck!
Doug
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks Doug! I put a little tank water in the apple juice jug and put on an old 36 watt Aquarium Hobbyist Supply light with its famous reflector right next to the apple jug right before I left for a job. I'll but some food in there tonight and let it run 24/7.
I'm pretty sure the fry will get eaten if I put them back in either big tank so I hope they can hold on for a few days. I have loads of mature plants in with them presently.

Thanks again for the GW primer! And that infusoria link is very interesting. bob

Last edited by Betowess; 05-02-2007 at 11:24 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Question Quantity and Frequency of GW to dose

Assuming I get some GW pretty soon (or infusoria of some sort). How much should I dose to a 25 gallon - and how often. Couple times a week or daily? About a pint of the GW or a bit less (or more)? Thanks. bob

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 11:38 AM

Lightbulb The infusoria feeding regime stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess View Post
Assuming I get some GW pretty soon (or infusoria of some sort). How much should I dose to a 25 gallon - and how often. Couple times a week or daily? About a pint of the GW or a bit less (or more)? Thanks. bob
The main idea for this GW is to get the infusoria or rotifers for the meat food source and also to have some greens with it, as the rainbows are omnivorous leaning towards little creepy/crawly things to eat.

I have used the airline tube method with MANY little ones in the past and it varies according to how many young and their "eagerness" to eat. Like with baby brine shrimp feeding just watch the bellies of the young and see that they are full and well rounded after the feeding time. or another approach is to set the jar say a gallon pickle size, on top of the tank and put another one in the window to ferment while the first one is dripping, that way you can have the food source constantly available.

With the drip line you can tie a loose knot in the airline about halfway down to the tank and tighten this little knot enough to allow a consistant drip of about 10-20 drips per minute. This same idea can be conformed to drip method of aclimating new fish to a tank from extremely different water types (like from across the country).

You'll know the jar has infusoria when it becomes a little cloudy when looking through it towards the light of the window(or bulb). If you happen to have a small lake, pond, or stream around go collect a few rotifers (infusoria) by collecting some of the water in a bucket and using it for the starter culture. All local bodies of water have some form of rotifers in it and you'll see them under a microscope or sometimes just with plain eyesight.

Adding food to the jar in the light source with say liquid fry food will keep the culture gowing for around 3-4 days to a week, then, the whole thing should be dumped out and a new jar started, as the old setup has more bacteria than infusoria in it which is bad for the young.

The feeding of this type of food will need to be consistantly fed for about 3-4weeks for this type of young rainbows as they grow VERY slowly like I said. Most young fry of say cichlids or larger fish will only need this feeding, if at all, for about 3-4 days so you can see what your up against with rainbows. They can then consume baby brine shrimp, or crumbled flake, frozen daphnia and so on.

You can acquire gallon size pickle jars from local restaurants by asking the people that cook there if they have a couple, or just buy some of those little meat weenies "Hot" type or not and remove the food stuffs, then clean the jars VERY well with a little bleach and hot water from tap for a few hours. be sure the jars are squeeky clean to the touch.

The link below is for the best book I have found on live foods culturing and such things in case anyone reading wants the full blown deal of this topic.
http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Aquarium.../dp/1860542603

Thanks for asking and please don't hesitate to ask if something does not make sense in the above writing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode