does co2 make fish lethargic? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via MSN to RachPreach
does co2 make fish lethargic?

In my 100 gallon, I inject pressurized co2 with a ph monitor. My ph out of the tap is 6.8 and by the end of the day, my co2 gets it down to 6.3. Today for example the ph reading got down to 6.2 which usually doesnt happen and everything was pearling like crazy, which is good. But my fish didnt even get excited to get feed this evening like they usually do. I think that they werent used to the amount of co2 that was in the water. FYI I have my co2 on a timer to where is turns off at night time and my o2 turns on fo about 6hrs at night.

My questions are:

I want to start increasing my co2 amount in my tank so the ph monitor gets to 6.2 or lower. Will my fish slowly adjust to the increased co2?

What should be my target goal of co2 in my tank?

100g tank:10 small angelfish, 1 harlequin rasbora, 2 albino cory, 2 clown loach, 1 rubberlip pleco, 1 bristlenose pleco and 1 apisto borellis.
Rena Filstar xp3, 2x32 and 1x96 watts with no co2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 04:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Rach, when I have high CO2 my fish have been known to really slow down. And if they are too slow, the CO2 is too high. That is the bad news. But here is the good news...I have very similar water, and keep my CO2 at a pH 6.2 with kH 4-5 and all my fish are fine. So it may just be an adjustment period. But if they continue to be sluggish after a while, better bring the pH up a little and see if they start moving around more. IME, the first sign of CO2 overdosing is sluggish fish.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 05:50 AM
Returning. Videotapes.

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz
What you are experiencing with your fish is NOT GOOD!! THere is too much CO2 in your water, which is not allowing the fish to expel CO2 from their gills in exchange for oxygen. They are essentially suffocating. Turn the CO2 down, or add an airstone that comes on at night time, or some sort of surface agitation to allow for proper oxygen exchange!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 06:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachPreach View Post
FYI I have my co2 on a timer to where is turns off at night time and my o2 turns on fo about 6hrs at night.
You mean your airstone turns on at night? Not O2, right?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 07:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (67/100%)
hehe sleepy fish=easier to catch....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 07:39 AM
Returning. Videotapes.

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz
Sleepy fish=fish that are getting stressed out! NO HEHE Boink!

Perhaps the airstone should run for 10-12 hours to help rid of the excess CO2. I would hate to see you lose all of your fish one day to something that is easily controllable, buddy! Either that, or just turn down the CO2 a bit is all. By the way, yes, your fish will adjust fine to the lower pH levels, but you should try to obtain that by perhaps adding peat moss to a filter bag, or something to that effect, and not by increasing your CO2 output.

I'm not yelling at you! Just trying to look out, is all.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via MSN to RachPreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
You mean your airstone turns on at night? Not O2, right?
yes i meant airstone.....

I dont really want my ph lower...i was just wondering what the lowest co2 amount i could go with the ph monitor....

100g tank:10 small angelfish, 1 harlequin rasbora, 2 albino cory, 2 clown loach, 1 rubberlip pleco, 1 bristlenose pleco and 1 apisto borellis.
Rena Filstar xp3, 2x32 and 1x96 watts with no co2.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode