peat under substrate... how important - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
peat under substrate... how important

I just got a 30g hex tank for free (with it's own thread on here) and went and bought two bags of eco-complete, along with a bunch of other stuff for this tank and others ($144 grr). I'm itching to put the eco-complete in right now but have heard that it's good to put peat moss under the substrate for plant nutrients and it naturally lowers pH (which is good since ours is probably gonna be around 8).

should i wait and get some peat moss to put in first or just screw it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 07:30 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I personally just put eco in my tank and didnt add peat. Its been about a week and my plants are growing like crazy. I think peat just speeds up the time it takes for the eco to start releasing nutrients. But like i said its been a week for me and already i am seeing huge growth.

James
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 07:44 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
IMO, the best part of peat under/in the substrate is NOT the lowering of PH or hardness. Rather, it is simply a safe, organic material that gets the nitrogen cycle started down there. Any similar product would probably do just fine...although nothing is coming to mind. Best solution would be mulm from an established filter/tank.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Just to anyone that comes across this thread. If you need peat and don't want to buy a full cubic foot contact me. I can ship you out enough for your tank.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg View Post
Just to anyone that comes across this thread. If you need peat and don't want to buy a full cubic foot contact me. I can ship you out enough for your tank.
you DEFINITELY have a PM
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 11:20 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I put a few handfulls of peat under the flourite in my tank. I have noticed that heavy root feeders like swords and crypts really seem to grab on to the peat. I pulled up both and the roots had bits of peat fiber stuck to them.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 03:18 AM
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (203/100%)
Peat is entirely unnecessary when setting up a tank, especially for beginners. It's too easy to mess up the amount and end up with a mess. Also, as someone pointed out you can use any organic material to the same effect...i.e. topsoil from your yard.

It does aide to speed up the colonization of bacteria and provide a few nutrients from the start. Is it necessary though? In my opinion it's not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In the D.C., Maryland, or NOVA area? Come check out The Greater Washington Aquatic Plants Association!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 03:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If you can read and follow directions then you won't mess up the tank.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 09:59 AM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Aaron and Rex are both right, with EC you don't need peat, but if you follow the direction you are given to use it, peat won't cause a problem in the amount you will use.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

got some peat from walmart. it's Schultz Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss. the only ingredient listed is Canadian Sphagnum Peat... this is the correct stuff, right? and at roughly $2 for 8 dry qt's... yee haw.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via AIM to nellis
I thought I would add my experiences...

I've always added peat. When I set up my 47 gallon in January there was a length along the front of the tank where the substrate (Eco Complete) spread out to around a half inch of depth. Eventually some of the peat pellets surfaced an are sitting on top of the E.C. This isn't so much a problem aesthetically, but when I was having CO2 problems, the peat was the first place that algae sprouted from... Tons of BBA, some read beard, and some staghorn.

Now my tank parameters are fine and I don't have algae (minus GDA/GSA), but I'm still a little paranoid about the peat.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

so after some thought... i don't know how to add peat, then add eco complete then add water and not mix everything up like mad. the new tank is in my office and on a stand and i don't know how to gently get water into it without disrupting everything in there. any ideas?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Put down the THIN layer of peat. You should still be able to see glass. If you can measure how thick it is then you have too much.

You can either wet down the peat before you add it or do so after. If you do it after then just spray it till it is moist.

Then carefully lay down the first layer of substrate by hand or cup.

Then add the rest of the substrate.

Put a plate on the substrate and direct the stream of water to the plate.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

the "stream of water" would be from me pouring it out of a pitcher though. i think that would flow over the plate much too quickly and cause disruption...
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 03:44 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Maybe you should just forget about the peat.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode