need a QUICK answer on shipping plants (ship tomorrow morn) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I ship plants all the time with priority mail. Recently I noticed that aquabotanic can't ship their stuff via express mail.

I read this on the USPS site (not sure if this is new or not)

Perishable Items
Some items require special packaging or special permission to be mailed. Call 1ˇ800ˇASKˇUSPS or visit your Post Office to find out how to mail these items:

Live animals
Fresh fruits and vegetables
Plants

I have never had any problems...but then again, I never say what is in the box.

Has anyone had anyproblems by writing "Live Plants" on the box? I only want to do this so the mailperson doesn't leave them in direct sunlight etc.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 04:43 AM
2la

PTrader: (0/0%)
They usually just ask me if the contents are perishable and I say yes. I once have had to tell the clerk that I was shipping live plants, but there was no problem. That several months ago; don't know if policies have changed.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 12:37 PM
PT Biologist

I hope you are not shipping them to the east, it is so cold here they would be popcicles between the mailtruck and the frontdoor.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 01:11 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
My Post Office gives me trouble if I mention that there are perishable items or live plants/fish in the package. The guy once gave me a lecture about shipping unknown plant species across state lines without approval and that being a government agency, USPS can't do it. So now I just don't say what is in there. I've shipped dozens of plant packages and never had a problem. Just make sure you have a tight knot in the bag the plants are in. If it leaks, they'll open it up.

- Sam P -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 01:58 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to ginnie5
they came USPS next day. It had live fish stamped all over the box and my carrier talked like they had similar packages all the time. I have plants coming now that are coming usps I believe. maybe some po's are just more laid back about it?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would never order anything perishable this time of year with anything other than express shipping. The weather sucks (todays high is 6) and with live plants the only way you get guaranteed live delivery is with express mail or another over night method.

Del Goins

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've never had a problem shipping live plants, when I label the box. The post office has never said anything to me about it.. Maybe it depends where you are.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode