should i? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to NoObLet
should i?

I wanted to know i should put snails in my plant tank? Can someone help me...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 12:24 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
my answer is noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i made that mistake 4 years ago, and since then, my 55g is like the planet of the snails. theyre even in my filter! how do they get past the impeller?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 12:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
NO.

10 characters.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 12:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoObLet View Post
Depends on the kind of snails...

Aquabid is one source for some interesting types. At times there are some available in the S&S here.

Pond Snails are pretty common hitch hikers so no need to search them out they will come with plants at times.

Rams horn are good.

Trumpets are an option too but hid in the substrate during the day.

Keep in mind that over feeding is the usual cause of them getting out of hand.

BTW Welcome to TPT

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
"Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube" - HST
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoObLet View Post
First off what kind of snails? Pond snails are a definite no. They will eat your plants no matter what. Malaysian trumpet snails and ramshorns are good. They east dying and dead leaves and left over food. The key is to take out the eggs when you have the amount you want or take out the snails. Now if you dont want to deal with this every week or 2(especially easy on a water change day if you ask me) then dont add any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsomeboy
my answer is noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i made that mistake 4 years ago, and since then, my 55g is like the planet of the snails. theyre even in my filter! how do they get past the impeller?
I disagree. Its learning to control the population. I found this quite easily. I have 8 ramshorns in my 10g and I see eggs, all I do is wipe the eggs off the glass and toss them. Then if I find more and more I just pluck them out. As simple as that. They dont do anything to the tank except crawl on the glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 12:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzr750r1
Keep in mind that over feeding is the usual cause of them getting out of hand.
I forgot to add this and yes its a very good point. Like I said they love to eat anything that is rotting IMO and IME. So weekly water and gravel vacs are important in controlling the population.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 12:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
I've had ramshorns multiply like crazy in tanks with no fish, ei: no feeding of any kind. In a high light, well planted tank, there never seems to be a lack of food.

To NoObLet, don't worry, some will sneak in with some plants soon anyway, no need to add them
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 03:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to dufus
My philosophy on snails- If you plant it they will come!
They WILL hitchike unless you dip all new plants in a bleach or h2o2 solution, even then they may get in.

-Devin-
Steve irwin- a father, a hero, a memory now. -We'll miss you mate
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 03:41 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to slickwillislim
I just found a pretty big hitchhiking spixi snail. I have to admit it doesn't look half bad.

Unless you have some snail eater your tanks going to get snails. I just accept that and work around it. Do you feed any sinking pellets to shrimps or plecos if so they will become snail food which will make lots more snails...

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 06:34 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
some hate 'em, some like 'em

I've always had snails in my tanks, whether I wanted them or not. I'm not so fond of pond snails and I just found some in my new tanks. I'm hoping the ramshorns and MTS will out compete them, or eat their eggs or muscle them out. I've noticed before that each tank tends to have a dominant snail species, so I think some kind of snail war might go on. Does anyone know about this?

The only snails I've intentionally added were Malaysian trumpet snails. I use fine sand substrate and they prevent compaction. I've had one problem with them: the tip of their shells tends to grow BBA, then they crawl all over the tank spreading it! It looks kind of pretty though, but I feel sorry for the snails dragging that "cape" behind them through the sand. Sometimes I pick it off.

I wonder, do ottos eat snail eggs?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 06:40 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've found my clown loaches to be a god send in eliminating snails. I just wish they'd eat my algae too.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 06:50 PM

PTrader: (22/100%)
I love snails. They keep the tank extremely clean and eat all leftover food and detritus. They are natures tiny vacuum cleaners imo. I love the little things.

If you are overfeeding the tank then you will have a ton of snails. They are a great indicator IMO on if you are feeding too much or not.

-Ryan

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode