Ich Treatment - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Ich Treatment

I have read that ich treatment is harmful to plants. So, I was thinking of removing the plants in my tank, and leaving them in a 15 gallon tub outdoors, while I blast the fish tank with meds. My question is, how long can rooted plants go w/o substrate?

I have plants attached to driftwood, which I am not too worried about, and the following:

crinum thaianum
Echinodorus uruguayensis
Crypt Balansae
corkscrew vals

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 04:05 PM

PTrader: (6/100%)
I raised temps to 85~86 and hit my tank with Rid-Ich+ and everything did just fine except the anachris, but that was only there as a nutrient sponge anyway. Bio filter didn't get hit either as I had no ammonia or nitrite spikes.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I will be using Rid Ich. Thanks for the tip.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 05:12 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Try going lights-out for a day (or so) too.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 05:47 PM

Temp also important!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arndogg View Post
I will be using Rid Ich. Thanks for the tip.
Hi

You probably allready know this stuff but just in case.

You do not mention that you will be raising the temp also so I thought I'd mentnion here that the temperature as mentioned by Mr. Clean is very important as it speeds up the life cycle of Ich so that the cure you are using will work while the protazoans are in the free swimming stage.

When they are on the host they cannot be killied by anything except pressure (or a lack thereof) since they are encapsulated in a cyst. If they do not find a host within 3 days they will die naturally so the temp just makes that span of getting to the free swimming stage quicker.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 05:50 PM

PTrader: (22/100%)
very easy and safe method:

Raise temperature to 85F

add 2tbsp of salt per 10 gallons each day for 3 days. Change 50% water after 3 days and repeat process if ick has not disappeared. Works for me and is much safer as well as efficient than those chemicals.

-Ryan

Last edited by wood; 04-24-2007 at 10:02 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

6 tablespoon per gallon? That seems like a lot. I used a total of 1 tbsp per gallon for ich and that worked fine.

I do think the salt treatment is good, but not sure it's safe for plants. Is it?

Six??
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
I have used just heat and it works. You speed up the life span of the organism and they can't reproduce. See this article:
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

Kathy

"We are living on this planet as if we have another one to go to". T. Swearingen
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori View Post
6 tablespoon per gallon? That seems like a lot. I used a total of 1 tbsp per gallon for ich and that worked fine.

I do think the salt treatment is good, but not sure it's safe for plants. Is it?

Six??
I have used it that method with many demanding plants without a problem. It is not 6 all at once. It is 2 a day, then a 50% water change. It is much safer than putting chemicals in your tank. Salt is not harmful to plants nor fish in the short run if you just use it to combat ick.

-Ryan
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 08:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

2 a day for 3 days THEN water change. Ain't that 6?

I do agree salt and heat are preferred to other chemicals. I've just never seen such a high dose of salt recommended before!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori View Post
2 a day for 3 days THEN water change. Ain't that 6?

I do agree salt and heat are preferred to other chemicals. I've just never seen such a high dose of salt recommended before!
I apologize but I had to edit my above post. I meant 1tbsp per (10) TEN gallons per day, not per gallon. I apologize and hope that I fixed this in time.

There is a difference between spreading out dosing over a period of days than dosing all at once. Yes, over a period of 3 days a total of 6tbsp is dosed, but it is not the same as doing 6tbsp on one day. You are confusing the concept. Upping the salinity over 3 days will not affect the plants and fish as much as dosing all 6 tbsp at once. They are able to slowly adapt to the increase in salinity, and after the 3rd day you change half of the water. It is meant to shock the ich and not the fish or plants, hence why it is spread out.

Dosing ferts is the same concept. Spreading it out over a set amount of days makes it easier for inhabitants to handle the ferts, as the ferts are not being dumped in one minute, but rather over a period of days. Acclimation is the key.

This method will not kill your fish, nor your plants.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 05:49 AM

salt and temp worked for me in a non planted tank. some smooth skinned spicies will be devastated by this much salt. if you can remove the most visually afflicted fish to another tank(quarinetine) this will dramatically help. use a gravel vac daily to reduce the dropped cysts(then run hottest tap water available through and around for a while to disinfect the vac). watch out for secondary infections in the fish and remove these individuals.

do not use any ich medication when doing the heat/salt treatment. with the high heat o2 concentration will decrease. adding ich meds will decrease the o2 even further creating a lose/lose situation.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 06:09 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
plants do ok in salt.. they'll adjust.. Just make sure to do frequent water change after the ich is gone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 03:28 PM

Loaches may not like that much salt....most of your average species are fine though.

kara
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 07:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

3 tbsp per 10 gallons is certainly different. If I was "confusing things", it ain't my fault! I actually have used more--10 tbsp per 10 gallons, but those fish were a fairly hardy species. My Java ferns--the only plants left in--didn't do very well, but they were weak to start.

I add gradually as well, aiming for about 1/3 of the total every 12 hoursish.

I believe many of the catfishes like pleco-type fish may not be tolerant to salt and if one has any, one should probably get more information before salting.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode