Looking for awesome driftwood. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking for awesome driftwood.

I'm looking to re-scape my tank in a little while. I'm seeking some large, branching, whirling driftwood to create a really dynamic look.

There's a lot of options on Ebay, which I'm keeping a close eye on.

I do know that some of you have made special requests to AquaForest? Is that correct?

Where do you all go to find such amazing pieces?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
ebaY has been getting some crazy bidders of late.

this 15" x20" piece just went for over $140 shipped !

you can probably save money by getting a bundle of
smaller pieces and making a large arrangement out of
them, instead of getting one honk-in centerpiece.
you'll also save on shipping that way as well.

keep in mind that once you grow in enough plants,
you way end up removing your wood altogether to
make more plant-able space. I tried all kinds of wood,
and now keep it all dry on a shelf to keep all the room
in the tank for my two dozen different plant species.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
manzanita?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 06:40 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I find all my driftwood in local rivers.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I saw that piece on Ebay! There's a few sellers on there who are selling 4-5 piece lots, which seem to have some potential. It's a hard call to make; I'm doing the math to see which sizes and dimensions would fit my 125g tank.

I looked at the Manzanita site and can't find any individual pictures. I'd probably have to contact them to find specifics.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 07:12 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
depending on your local laws (or their enforcement) you can find some great peices at local lakes. I got some fantastic large and small bits at my lake. I went to the shore and found the root bundles that were left behind from trees that died and broke off in the water. You get some very interesting shapes with holes and random branches.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
My order from manzanita.com. $42-shipped. You have to soak this stuff, but IMO, it's worth it. It takes about a week to become neg buoyant, and a month to bleed 95% of the tannins out. Quite a bang-for-the-buck if you are willing to do the work.

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'll check out the laws for collecting from my local lakes. I must say, I'm very paranoid of what might "come in" with collected pieces.

unirdna -- WOW what a score. They sure are beautiful! How do you go about creating a hardscape with them? Piecing them together, etc?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to retoid Send a message via MSN to retoid
whats the process you all put your driftwood through.

I scavenged the beach here yesterday and found lots of cool pieces.
What do you do to sterilize them and what do you do to make them sink?

Thanks
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
unirdna -- WOW what a score. They sure are beautiful! How do you go about creating a hardscape with them? Piecing them together, etc?
Sometimes you get lucky and pieces lock together nicely. Usually, you need to use tank walls and substrate to hold things in place. I highly recommend using many pieces instead of one. It allows the creativity to flow.....

....of course, I'll not show you my final aquascape . You'll have to keep your eyes on the photo album - my new journal will be showing up in about a month .

Ted

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unirdna View Post
....of course, I'll not show you my final aquascape . You'll have to keep your eyes on the photo album - my new journal will be showing up in about a month .

Ted

GOODNESS! Point taken! That's exactly the look I'm trying for. Nice work, BTW. It gives me a feel for what can be accomplished. I appreciate your visual help!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 11:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Ted, what's the diameter on the thicker pieces? They look much better than the twigs, IMHO.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul-7 View Post
Ted, what's the diameter on the thicker pieces? They look much better than the twigs, IMHO.
The bigger pieces are around 1.5-2.0 inches wide. Looking at the last photo, that large piece on the left side - bottom is about 3 inches diameter. My new tank size is 90cm, so the towel below the wood is always set at 90x45cm (36" x 18" - 50g). That should give you a good frame of reference.

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Unirdna,

So, when you ordered from them, did you just contact saying... "hi I want x-amount pieces"? I'm getting a game plan in the works, here.

Thanks again for contributing! I appreciate it.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to retoid Send a message via MSN to retoid
I have some small to medium sized driftwood for sale here.

_____

Eheim Pimp #252

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode