Should I give up? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (6/100%)
Should I give up?

I'm doing a low tech 5.5 gallon aquarium with just peacock moss. I have a simple 14 watt flourecent striplight and a Zoomed 501 canister filter. My subtrate is plain inert pea gravel and the moss is attached to some african root wood. Temp is 74 digrees and light is on 10 hours a day. My filter has a sponge for waste trapping and ton of biorings.

Today is day 14 of my setup and day 8 of getting my moss. I woke up today and my moss is being over run by brown gunk and I had a thick layer of scum on the surface of the water.

I did a 50% water change and cleanded my filter out then added .8mls of excel .4mls of Iron (because I read Iron is important to moss) and 2.5mls Flourish. When I did the water change is was extreemly brown in a white bucket.

After the water change and adding the ferts everthing in the tank was pearling. The moss looked bright green and started spout new shoots everywhere. Then within two hours it crashed and the brown gunk started reamerging.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I was told my tap water has high levels of phosphates by a local petshop. Should I go on or give up? I'm thinking I might not be able to pull a moss tank off witout R.O. water or something.

I have some moss in a bucket with clean tap water left over from a water change last week. It's doing betten then the moss in my tank.

I've been pulling my hair out for 2 weeks and I'm low on funds .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 02:25 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
might be diatoms

Diatoms are often the first algae to show up in a new tank. They look like a brown scum or dust. They like low light. Often they go away by themselves as the tank settles in. Later when your water parameters are OK for fish some ottos will eat them. I say keep going... if you can add some light.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 03:24 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I wouldn't buy an oto just to put in a 5 gallon tank. It's way too small.

what animals do you have in the tank? maybe shrimps & snail might help.
Yeah, moss is hard to take care of when gunk grows on it.. And reduce your photoperiod to just 8 hours..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 03:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I have an oto in a 2 gallon cube. It's probably way to small but I do love clean glass. I say go for it. When the diatoms are gone you can put it in another tank or simply keep it.

I have a 2.5 gallon with a little diatom and shrimps and snails don't help. Ok they might HELP but they won't get rid of it. Unless you put like 20 shrimp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thx for trying to help,

I'm not sure if this is diatoms but it could be, it dont look like anything I've seen before. It looks like fungus except brown, it's fluffy.

I forgot to mention I have 3 pearl danios and I only feed them once a day.

I have seen some possative activity since posting. The moss closer to the light on the wood had been turning yellow then white. It clearly looked like it was dieing. That is where most of the brown gunk is.

Today was the first day I added iron. The bleached out looking moss has its center stems turning green again.

The algae is driving me nutz though.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 05:02 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
It's probably due to poor water quality. YOu should check ammonia, nitrate, phosphat etc... The moss sounds like it's starving.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 05:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Relax. You are worrying too much. It hasn't even been two weeks.

Do lots of water changes, and grab an amano shrimp. With time, it will pass.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelvedere View Post
Relax. You are worrying too much. It hasn't even been two weeks.

Do lots of water changes, and grab an amano shrimp. With time, it will pass.
Thx I tend to worry alot, I have to much time on my hands. I stare into my tank all day long its like watching paint dry

The guy at the fish shop told me it would take 3 weeks to ajust to my tank. I'm just thinking things should be going faster.

I keep trying ferts and experamenting sometimes I get possative results and other times things crash. I'm constenly scratching my head trying to firgure out whats going on.

I've been keeping fish for 15 years I've kept everything from south american dwarf cichlids and plecos to africans. I always thought there isnt a fish I cant keep alive if its healthy when purchased. But this whole planted aquarium thing is new to me.

I'm constenly worried that I'm either not adding enough ferts or I'm adding too much. I know its all about ballance in a planted aquarium I'm just having a hard time finding it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode