Crypt aponogetifolia - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Where can I get Crypt aponogetifolia here in the States? I live in Southern California but lived in the Philippines for four years to go to college. While there, this plant was readily available in the local pet stores(roughly US 50 cents for three!) Grew to two feet in my tank under 15 watts of NO flourescent, I've not had any plant like it since. I haven't been able to find it in the four years since I moved back here. Someone please help!!! I've got to have this plant.

"I do not have to forgive my enemies; I have had them all shot." -Unknown Central American dictator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 09:23 PM
2la

You sure you want such a large plant? C. usteriana is a smaller alternative. Look around for any plants labeled as a 'Philippine crypt'. They have them here and I believe they're aponogetifolia, though C. usteriana may be sold under the same name.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 12:45 AM

C. Usteriana is available through Aquabotanic. I would check that if you would like the alternative species. If I only lived in the US! I definitely would like to get my hands on C. Usteriana... and some other Crypt species as well.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 01:45 AM
2la

Are you kidding me, Slaigar? You live in Canada and have access to Big Al's (if you live close enough to a store) and Tropica plants! Believe me, the US is not the place to be if you're looking for widespread species availability (especially newly discovered species). :?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 04:03 AM

I do like Tropica but I cannot say the same for Big Al's. They have a store in a nearby city and it is just horrible- expensive plants, large numbers of fish with ich and extremely slow service. I hope all the stores are not like that!

I guess Canada does have its benefits. The owner of Ottawa Aquatics is helping me hunt down some Crypts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

After 3 long years, I found them... will post pics when they recover from the total meltdown (already coming back ). Thanks to the couple of people who replied...

"I do not have to forgive my enemies; I have had them all shot." -Unknown Central American dictator
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 07:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
FYI, at least two large populations are in the USA and the Philippines. Herson(now decreased) Morco's family still runs the business in the Philippines.

There is another at some nursery outside of Miami, I forget the place, I drove by it and there a couple of folks that knew where it was, but have since lost track, they have a whole pond full of it.

Several folks in SG sell it.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
I have some too - it's a monster. It will outgrow almost any tank you throw at it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 09:25 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenThePlantGeek View Post
I have some too - it's a monster. It will outgrow almost any tank you throw at it!
I have a 150g that would love some... that is if you can throw all the way from Indianapolis to Ft Worth/Dallas area.... lol
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I think I can handle that - I sent you a PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I <3 Eheim #195
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

to jentheplantgeek: i've heard that the plant prefers hard, alkaline water. I'm using RO water that is slightly soft and pH 6.8 (i keep cardinals). Every leaf melted completely within 2 days of placing them in the tank and are just barely starting to come back 3 weeks later. Can they do well in this type of water? I brought them back from a vacation in the Philippines, meaning they were probably sitting in Southeast Asian tap water. Thanks...

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I have them in hard water, but I know that many crypts will adjust to any conditions you give them. What you're describing is VERY normal for crypts - sometimes called "crypt melt". When moved into new conditions they will shed their leaves and melt away, then send out new leaves as they adjust. 3 weeks sounds about right, give them time and I'm betting that they'll bounce back for you.

I <3 Eheim #195
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 05:34 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Jen - Plants arrived.. looking SUPER! My tank says a big Thank You..!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 05:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm glad! I'm sure it'll grow well Hopefully you can post some pictures pretty soon of this tank of yours - I think it might be the longest-standing tank on the forum, and I'd love to see it!

I <3 Eheim #195

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode