Algae "nap time" anyone? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Algae "nap time" anyone?

A while ago my LFS introduced me to the idea of "algae nap time" and I've been doing it ever since, partly because it enabled me to have lights on in the AM and PM when I'm home most. The idea is to give several hours of darkness midday: supposedly algae cannot cope with the "nap" but higher plants can. On the other hand I've read that one should duplicate the tropical high intensity noon in the middle of a light cycle. Which do you guys do, has anyone seen an effect either way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 06:41 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
How long is this nap time? Will this ruin the life of the light bulb or ballast?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 06:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
I tried it in the past, didn't really help with ridding algae, but maybe helped lessen it's spread....

Member of PAPAS and GPASI - Pittsburgh Area Planted Aquarium Society and Greater Pittsburgh Aquarium Society

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 07:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I did that with my tropheus tank and it just slowed down the growth.

what I like to do is shorten the photo-period(no more then 9hrs) and use a "noon burst" lighting so that half the day is half lighting then a burst of full lighting but I run super high lighting so it works for me.

FUNction over form

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 08:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
There is no supportable basis for this idea, none, algae can respond faster than plants. They have far less machinery, cells to start up, they have far more life cycles than plants, which for us, there is only one for plants.

It's like trying to say a small car is harder to start up and drive than a huge Train.

No one has ever show me it has a single thing to do with lighting, however, stopping the light for a brief time can allow the CO2 levels build back up if they are inadequate, as plants do not use CO2 at night.

CO2, not lighting is a far more likely cause as light drives CO2 demand from the plants, whereas many folks have high light without ANY algae at all when they focus well on CO2.

The evidence and observations point to other issues, namely CO2, which accounts for 95% of all algae issues.

The other thing, I can use regular light cycles without any issues with algae.
This strongly suggest that there are certainly other reasons for the algae and that they are more than likely related to something other than lighting.........

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 11:14 AM

PTrader: (28/100%)
I've done it, and as you mention the only real benefit is to spread out the "viewable hours" of your tank. Hey, that's a pretty good cause to me. The only downside is you are no longer mimicking the natural conditions where the plants come from.

I agree with tom, this would not be a solution to algae growth.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
wake up little snoozy

Nihongo, naptime is two to four hours, and I don't know if affects the life of the bulb or ballast, though I imagine it would shorten it. But it seems the consensus here so far is that the nap does nothing to inhibit algae, and may inhibit plant growth. Thanks for your answers guys.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode