Plants and Music! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Plants and Music!

As the title says, music affects plants greatly, as it was proven in Mythbusters. I saw the episode one more time today, and I thought, maybe this works in aquatic plants?!

Anyone every try this? Have an aquarium near a source of music? I think I'm gonna start doing this, taking in consideration how much electricity it would use. According to Mythbusters, Death Metal was the better for plants than was classical music, but both showed much more growth and health than talking to them continuously. Also they did a control with silence and those plants did terribly.

And can someone tell me the science behind this? Or did the Mythbusters mess up in making a fair test and nothing should've happened?

Just thought it would be an interesting topic :-D.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
the myth has been around forever mythbusters are usually pretty good at breaking the myths without too many variables i think there pretty solid when they say that the myth is conformed it truly is.

Im sure that aquatic plants would get a similar affect to music as non aquatic ones would also sound travels underwater easier than in air so that might help a bit ? Also strangely my hairgrass shot off a while ago ( it hadint grown at all for about a year) and now that I think back i played my guitar alot in that month ( the month alot of the growth occurd) but many things happpend in the tank at that time so i cant really say much. It would indeed be a cool expermient though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
happy fishing

75 gallon Tanganyika Community Planted
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 01:18 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think Marcel Vogel knows the answer.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 01:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
My computer/music/fish room are one and the same. My tanks get blasted by my singing and playing daily and the music I listen toas well. They are doing pretty well...

Regards,
Sam
  • 150g dirt tank (work in progress)
  • 100g corner community tank
  • 180g Native North American fish
  • 85g bichir lair
  • 45g flatback hex dirt tank
  • 75g blackwater tank
  • 40 breeder dollar sunfish
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 02:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
my surround sound has several speakers on top of/right next to tanks. they are doing well. the big tank in the basement who gets no sound is doing so so

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

all gone now

Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 02:14 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegoryu View Post
And can someone tell me the science behind this?
I'm surprised Mythbusters didn't include some explanation in their program.

I'd guess that because plant cells have rigid walls, they are more effected by sound vibration. Perhaps the vibration helps these rigid cell walls to be more flexible during cell growth expansion, cell division, nutrient admittance and waste expulsion.
A natural similarity could be drawn by comparing plants that thrive in the wind or water current, to those generally grown in still stable environments. My guess would be plants subjected to more natural movement will be stimulated to grow further than sedentary plants.
I realize that plants in water current will probably grow more as they have better access to fresh nutrients than sedentary plants. plants in the wind would not grow larger for the same reason, but they would propagate more as their seeds are potentially spread a further distance from the parent plant (who's roots don't have to compete for the same nutrients) thanks to the wind.
That does not mean motion is not a mitigation factor, simply that natural movement of plants cannot be a direct correlation to the benefits we may observe from a plants proximity to sound.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeanna View Post
I think Marcel Vogel knows the answer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_Life_of_Plants

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcel_Vogel
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
hehe nice. But according to the Mythbusters, mean words at a mean tone did not have a difference between nice words at a nice and happy tone. They experimented with two women and they had contradicting results. For Kari, the plants exposed to nice voices were healthier while for Scottie, the plants exposed to mean voices were healthier.

And if plants had feelings I think they'd be better with Classical music than Death Metal lol. I guess more sound vibrations are better and does not matter how violent they are. I guess there is a point where they will do worse.

I'll do a little experiment someday... According to you guys, this may have some truth to it, but there are no constants so we can't say anything scientifically. Need to use my speakers more now!

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 04:07 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to slickwillislim
I finally have an excuse to blast my music:

"But MOOOOOOM I am helping my plants grow!"

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 06:41 PM

Haha cool.....
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Don't give them rap, rap kills them!

Rena Filtstar #137!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 09:57 PM
planted tank sickness

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalfish View Post
Don't give them rap, rap kills them!
aaaaww.... don't let your personal feelings get in the way.

actually... rap music often has loud base noises, which is specifically what plants respond to.

from data ive seen, the emotion behind the music has nothing to do with it. blue whale calls, and other low frequency noises have been shown to posess the right wavelength noise to stimulate plant growth better than other noises.

specifically what about the low frequency noise makes plants grow wasn't known when i was reading these kinds of studies... things could have changed since then.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hmm, well some plants must be different... Someone in our school did an experiment on plants and music, the rap listening plant was dead.

Rena Filtstar #137!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanut415 View Post
aaaaww.... don't let your personal feelings get in the way.

actually... rap music often has loud base noises, which is specifically what plants respond to.

from data ive seen, the emotion behind the music has nothing to do with it. blue whale calls, and other low frequency noises have been shown to posess the right wavelength noise to stimulate plant growth better than other noises.

specifically what about the low frequency noise makes plants grow wasn't known when i was reading these kinds of studies... things could have changed since then.
If what you say is true, then lots and lots of Tool should get the plants growing like... like... like water wisteria.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 11:36 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
I had an ivy plant one time that I played music for it to listen to. I would play Jackie Wilson's "Higher and Higher" a few times a day. I didn't see any difference the first week, but on the second week; that ivy started climbing up the wall. I was amazed!

I did this for about a month and then I switched songs. I started playing "Up on the Roof" by the Drifters a few times a day. That ivy plant started growing for the window to get out. It was heading for the roof!

Then, after another month, I started playing "Twistin' the Night Away" by Sam Cooke. It ended up being just a big knot of ivy. Oh well. It was fun while it lasted.

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode