Too much light? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Too much light?

Hi all,

I'm wondering if my set-up has too much light. It's a 12 gallon Nanocube with the top ripped off. I did this because the lighting system was fried and I decided to convert it to an open top.

I replaced the lighting system with a home-made one. I have two 6700K 40-watt CF bulbs fitted into a pair of cheap-o work-light reflectors. These are the reflectors you get at Home Depot for $2.99.

I have the two lights suspended over the aquarium, about 4 inches from the water. Now, easy math tells me that I'm getting about 6.7 watts per gallon. But, that does not take into account the amount of restrike/loss-of-light due to the cheap reflectors and distance from the water.

My question is, could the amount of light and type of light (6700K) be the main cause of my massive clado algae bloom? Here are the other steps I've taken to put a stop to clado:
- Stopped dosing anything
- Stopped feeding the Amano and Cherry Shrimps (only inhabitants)
- Turned up the pressurized CO2 (ADA drop checker indicates
greenish-yellow)
- Manually remove Clado on a weekly basis

Nothing has worked to this point. The Clado is so tenacious that after manually removing it from the tank, it comes back in full force after only one week.

Any help would be appreciated! I'll take photos when I get home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
What's the photo period?

FUNction over form

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

It's a 12 hour period.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 03:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Too much

I would do around 8-9hrs max with that much lighting, maybe even less till your algae problem dies out. I don't feed any of the shrimp till their work is done and even then there should be an abundance of food for them.

FUNction over form

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Thank you

I'll turn down the photoperiod to 7. As for the shrimp, will the cherries get enough food? My understanding is that they don't eat clado.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 04:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

There should be other things in the tank to feed on.

FUNction over form

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 04:39 PM

PTrader: (22/100%)
First off remove one of those bulbs, or replace with (2) 20watt bulbs. 40watt alone is good for that tank.

Second what and how much plants do you have in there? You will most likely have to add more plants.

Do not stop doing ferts, dose KH2PO4 as well as a small amount of trace elements.

Change 30% of the water before adding ferts.

-Ryan
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Hi Wood,

Thanks for the advice. I did some research and found that stopping the ferts wasn't a good idea .

As for the lights, someone recently informed me that the actual wattage going into the tank is somewhere around 50 watts with both bulbs. I was told that I'm losing close to 25% of the light due to the lack of a proper reflector. That's why I decided to use both bubls. If someone can confirm/deny that, I'd greatly appreciate it!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 06:41 PM

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeternum23 View Post
Hi Wood,

Thanks for the advice. I did some research and found that stopping the ferts wasn't a good idea .

As for the lights, someone recently informed me that the actual wattage going into the tank is somewhere around 50 watts with both bulbs. I was told that I'm losing close to 25% of the light due to the lack of a proper reflector. That's why I decided to use both bubls. If someone can confirm/deny that, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Lower your wattage to 40watts TOTAL. So 20watts per bulb or (1) 40watt bulb. Do not listen to others speculations about light loss, actual wattage, wizardry, cave trolls, etc.

-Ryan
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

haha, but that cave troll looked so REAL!

I'll turn off one of the bulbs for a week and soo how it goes. Thanks again.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Actually, I don't think that much light is too bad. I'd estimate 50 watts are getting into your tank.

Clado algae isn't controlled by fertilizers or lighting. It's controlled by manual removal, Amano shrimp control (which helps, but isn't the cure), and by Excel/H2O2 overdoses.

I'd keep the lighting you have on your tank...BUT I would either try an Excel/H2O2 overdose for a week or two, and if that doesn't work, nuke your tank.

You have pressurized CO2 and EI ferts. Say you only lose 30% due to restrike. That's about 5 WPG getting into your tank....that's not un-managable. The problem is that everyone assumes clado "spontaneously" comes about from poor light, CO2 management, and fertilization...it's really not. It comes as a hitckhiker and there are other means to get rid of it.

Bottom line: Keep your lights. Keep your CO2 where it is, keep dosing EI. Excel/H2O2 overdose, nuke your tank if all else fails.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
I wouldn't say that's too much light at all, since they are spiral bulbs and the reflectors are poor.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode