kinda newb question? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
kinda newb question?

Have my tank in it's beginning steps, but I just randomly thought of this:

Will a moderate to heavily stocked (fish) tank provide enough nutrients (along w/ a decent substrate) to avoid the need for ferts (low-ish light low-tech tank). Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
It depends. If it is a low light, low tech tank without CO2, it might work. Problem is that those sort of tanks are often setup so you don't have to change water. That doesn't go along well with overstocking.

If it is low tech (no big nutrient needs) and regular water changes are done, it might work.

Keep in mind that fish tend to grow. What today is medium level, tomorrow could be way overstocked.

This is no-go for normal planted tanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
those sort of tanks are often setup so you don't have to change water. That doesn't go along well with overstocking.
Thanks for the info. One more thing, what exactly would you hope to be removing w/ the water changes that would need to be removed in an overstocked tank?

And are there any non-chain fish stores up there? I haven't looked since I've gotten in the hobby but I'm from Salinas.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Water changes remove build-up of dissolved organic components. Unfortunately, our fishies don't poop just nitrates and phosphates, so over time water degrades. While they can handle swimming in their own pee for a while, it is not a good way to keep them. Many years ago ppl swore by "aged water" and found that water changes would kill their fish. That was with once-a-year or so water changes, drastic changes... With weekly changes there are no problems.

(Just as a little disclaimer - I think overstocking tanks is a REALLY bad idea, leading to many unnecessary problems).

Salinas is pretty sad LFS wise, besides the usual Petsmart there is Petfun with its ich-ridden lifestock, and another LFS down on S. Main that just scares me. There is a brand new store in Old Town, little hole in the wall, cartering to marine hobbyists. Nothing exciting here in the area, you'd have to go up to San Jose to find some decent stores.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode