Recommendations for a plant that can take current? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Recommendations for a plant that can take current?

I'm in search of a plant that grows to a little bit short of the height of a 10g tank (doesn't apply if it is a stem plant) that will grow in extremely thick and be able to resist a lot of current (from filter outlet). I would prefer it be a leafy plant like an amazon sword to keep the same look in the tank. The problem I ran into was that I was constantly trimming long leaves off the sword as they breached the surface of the water, and because of this, the plant was never able to grow bushy enough to resist the water flow. Eventually, the stems all became flexible and while it grows well, the leaves are all arranged haphazardly.

Trying to keep this look (on the left side that is). Any suggestions would be appreciated

Currently 28 watts over 10g, EI dosing, 30ppm CO2, Flourite bed with Flourish tabs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 11:06 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Nothing is coming to mind....those 10's are pretty short. You've done a great job so far, though! HOw's the marselia coming?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 11:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
your going to think I am crazy here, but I got cabomba to grow in pretty thick and right to the surface. It moves a bit, but it looks cool as heck. All i did was let it grow to the surface then break off the stem as soon as it tried to grow over. It seemed to slow down the growth and worked well for me.
https://www.plantedtank.net/plantprof...aroliniana/25/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 11:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
or java fern... https://www.plantedtank.net/plantprof...m-pteropus/52/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 12:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
jungle val.. onions...there are probably some others

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Many Hygrophila, especially H. sp. "Pantanal wavy" comes to mind", or a nice mound of Stargrass. Neither will have the wide leaf look of a Sword, but they look nice. What about a big mature chunk of Anubias? I have one that is about 10"x12"...

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 01:10 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Hemigraphis Traian do a good job of staying rigid in water flow.
They also grow immersed once they break the water surface.
If your water conditions are right, you will see contrast leaf vain
and purple highlights especially with leaves closest to the light.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 01:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to JHipkin
Get a Hydor Flo Rotating Water Deflector and you can plant anything you want :-)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ernie - Thanks! The marselia is coming along quite well actually. I'm still dealing with some hair/brush algae on it, but I just clip off the effected leaves and it still fills in quite rapidly. And I LOVE how it doesn't grow longer under shade. The blyxa has also grown to about 3x it's original size, and one of them is breaking apart into two! The tiny bit of java moss is nowhere to be seen though. I think the dwarf gourami ate it

Gmccreedy - I checked on java fern a while back as a replacement, and alas, it grows to about a foot tall. Since I only have about 9 inches to work with, I think I may run into the same trouble as with the sword, with me having to clip long leaves and it not growing into a bush. Narrow leaf java fern may be a possible choice though, since it apparently only grows to about 7-8 inches. I will consider the cabomba, but I was trying to go for that leafy look on the left side. Thanks!

Ryzilla - Will look into onions, but I'm staying away from jungle vals because I have not been able to keep any alive (lol)

Betowess - I could not find the pantanal wavy variety, but did find some pictures of hygro from pantanal. Is this it?

http://www.rva.ne.jp/plants/gallary_yukei_ha.html

Anubias......hmm....I have not been able to stop my anubias nana from curling up (despite moving it into shade at the recommendation of a few people here) so I think I will stay away from that until I figure out what's going on lol.

Stargrass is a definite possibility though! My only question: Do I have adequate light to prevent the lower leaves from dying off? That seems to be the main concern tied to this plant (other than weed-like growth - lol)

Spypet - That plant looks very interesting. I especially like how it has a slight tint of red, which I think would make my tank look less....well....bright green, heh.

Jhipkins - Alas, I have only a lowly HOB filter which would not be compatible (The Whisper died on me so I bought an Aquaclear mini) I tried using an Eheim 2213 I recently got my hands on, but even with the spray bar directed up, it was too much current

Thanks for all your help so far! Right now, I am thinking Hemigraphis Traian for the very back and perhaps either a bush of narrow leaf java fern or stargrass in front of it (and slightly shading the anubias nana)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 03:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Yeah, that is the "Pantanal" Very tough plant. Stargrass grows really nice in low light, albeit slowly/ I have some in a 25 gallon with 65 watts - much taller tank and the stargrass is fairly shaded there to boot. Looks great too. BTW, I really like your tank!

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess View Post
Yeah, that is the "Pantanal" Very tough plant. Stargrass grows really nice in low light, albeit slowly/ I have some in a 25 gallon with 65 watts - much taller tank and the stargrass is fairly shaded there to boot. Looks great too. BTW, I really like your tank!
Thanks! It looks much better in the picture The swords (theres actually two in the pic) took a turn for the worse after the ramshorns started eating at it, and I tossed the anubias afzelli in the right after the roots mysteriously started rotting (from above the substrate line!) And my wisteria......ugh, looks like jumbled salad up close (notice how I took a shot from further back ) I will probably replace it with HM soon (or maybe narrow java fern). That picture was taken after a 48 hours blackout, so the wisteria is actually a real mess! hehe

It looks like stargrass it is for the left side though! Will look into pantanal as well, for behind it. Thanks!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 04:05 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHipkin View Post
Get a Hydor Flo Rotating Water Deflector and you can plant anything you want :-)
I finally got one of these, and it still turns slowly but reliably on even half the 300 GPH that it's rated for. I love the calm but effective waterflow it shoots all over my tank, and I encourage others to try it. There is no inlet or cavity shrimp fry might get stuck in, and it adapts well to my XP3 outlet despite the multi language instructions leaving me clueless as to what all those extra parts were for

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode