Greg Watson no more? are we being invaded! ahh! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Greg Watson no more? are we being invaded! ahh!

This bothers me. I've relied on Greg's ferts for awhile. Haven't had a tank up in 4 mo. due to a move and now I catch a thread saying that its under new ownership, prices are jacked up, as well as shipping/tracking and customer service complaints. Whats the deal.

"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest." -- Confucius

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badren View Post
Whats the deal.
We'll all just have to wait and see. New Ownership can be the Best or the worst for a business' customers. But Greg definitely leaves a Hard Act to Follow......

I am hoping for the Best for everyone. But again:

We'll all just have to wait and see.

Side Note: Greg, I believe, did it more as a Hobby-Based Business. The Price increases could simply be a sign that the new owner intends to approach it as a Business-Based Business. Maybe the price increases are necessary for that. I don't know either way--just some thoughts....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 05:47 PM
planted tank sickness

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
This bothers me. I've relied on Greg's ferts for awhile. Haven't had a tank up in 4 mo. due to a move and now I catch a thread saying that its under new ownership, prices are jacked up, as well as shipping/tracking and customer service complaints. Whats the deal.
are you really complaining about these "jacked up" prices? are you serious?

$3 for a lb of kno3 is hardly highway robbery.

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 05:55 PM

PTrader: (6/100%)
So far IME their customer service is great. I ordered KNO3, K2SO4, and GH Booster. I received it in about 2 to 3 days but the KNO3 was replaced with KH2PO4. I sent them an email the next day and their response was "I am shipping out the KNO3 today, you don't need to do anything else. Thank you for your business."

I will be sending them a payment for the KH2PO4 anyway, but they basically told me to just keep it and sorry for the inconvenience.

-Scott
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
if you want to save shipping costs, just find a local hydroponic store.
If you don't have one, pay the 'jacked up' prices.

post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanut415 View Post
are you really complaining about these "jacked up" prices? are you serious?

$3 for a lb of kno3 is hardly highway robbery.
Again: That initial post isn't just about the prices--Its about the overall picture! Reread the post--its not just about the prices. Ultimately we (the customers) are in limbo about whats going on--Overall. Big Picture. But Price and Shipping increases are pieces of information that we do have.

In another post I stated that my last order was +/-$32 for 8 lbs of Good Shipped. I don't have the paper work--because I don't need it. But I do know what I ordered--and why. So, let's say that my $$ amount is off: I can assure You that the shipped cost was not more than $36. So, for the exact same order that I placed earlier this yr--its now $12 more shipped. Instead of +/-$35--- its now +/-$50. This is only April.

Cost increases are facts that we do have. The rest is subject to interpretation---IMO.

HTH

post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
So far IME their customer service is great. I ordered KNO3, K2SO4, and GH Booster. I received it in about 2 to 3 days but the KNO3 was replaced with KH2PO4. I sent them an email the next day and their response was "I am shipping out the KNO3 today, you don't need to do anything else. Thank you for your business."

I will be sending them a payment for the KH2PO4 anyway, but they basically told me to just keep it and sorry for the inconvenience.

-Scott
Mistakes Happen. Sounds Good and I hope to hear more positive things like this.....

post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 06:06 PM

More than anything they need some help on getting a revamped website up FAST. That site looks like garbage.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 06:10 PM

PTrader: (8/100%)
I bought my first order of GW ferts last month, right as it transitioned to the new guy.

I've always found it quite precarious that something so vital to the hobby hinged upon one man. Hopefully this ends up being a good thing.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I posted that based on information on another thread. Word of mouth is everything, its what got greg off the ground, and even popularized EI. I was relaying how I felt about what I'd read. Its hard to find the IMPECCABLE customer service that greg provided, and with the expense we pay already for equipment, and the time and effort many put into their little slice of aquatic heaven, price is always an issue. I have more of an issue with that because of the sudden shift in price, its a bit of a curiosity that they would go up so quickly after the business transferred. Its also hard because who knows the level of commitment the new ownership will invest, as many have said "thats a hard act to follow".

"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest." -- Confucius

post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
The price increases are not that much. It's no big deal. If I were the guy, my reply to the complaints about these slight increases would be "feel free not to purchase."
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
dramatic shift in price,
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
The price increases are not that much. It's no big deal. If I were the guy, my reply to the complaints about these slight increases would be "feel free not to purchase."
O.K. I'll give you that, I just hope It doesn't also mean "feel free not to expect the same service you appreciated so much".

post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'll say it again:

Oftentimes new ownership/management will increase prices--first thing. Its not uncommon in many industries.

post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Its also kind of like how you feel when baskin robbins replaces your favorite mom and pop ice cream stand.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode