PTrader: (0/0%)
converting EI dosing into bulk.

this is my regimen

1/2 tsp kno3 3x week
1/8 tsp kh2po4 3x week
1/8 tsp k2so4 3x week
10ml trace 3x week
50% w/c at the end of the week

all dry except trace(KENT PRO PLANT)HOW COULD I JUST MIX UP A BATCH FOR A WHOLE WEEK AND HAVE IN A SQUIRT AND KNOW WHAT ML THE ABOVE DOSES ARE?HOPE THAT MAKES SENSE.THANKS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
It depends on how big is your tank in order to count on what is the ppm (concentration) of each nutrient in your tank right now, so you ought to let us know.

However from your dosing regime I can guess that the tank would be around 90-100 gallons.

Then from there you can foresee how much water you will need to dissolve all the chemicals, and you can count on how many mL of fert solution you need to pour in each time to match with the current dosing.

Try chuck nutrient calculator!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I can never figure out why people want to make a solution to dose a large tank. Why not mix the dry powders and just dose 3/4 tsp each time (in this case)?

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
There is a point to that, Rex. Especially on the huge tanks.
Each dosing would be like a glass of liquified ferts
(I dose mine 100-200mL each time)

I guess on the smaller scale tank, people just love the easeness and the more accurate dosing of liquified ferts (esp when you did measure the weight properly when doing the stock solution).

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yashua View Post
this is my regimen

1/2 tsp kno3 3x week
1/8 tsp kh2po4 3x week
1/8 tsp k2so4 3x week
10ml trace 3x week
50% w/c at the end of the week

all dry except trace(KENT PRO PLANT)HOW COULD I JUST MIX UP A BATCH FOR A WHOLE WEEK AND HAVE IN A SQUIRT AND KNOW WHAT ML THE ABOVE DOSES ARE?HOPE THAT MAKES SENSE.THANKS.
Well...

Add 3 x 1/2 tsp of KNO3
Add 3 x 1/8 tsp of KH2PO4
Add 3 x 1/8 tsp K2SO4
Add 30 mL of water
Mix
Shake & dose 10 mL each time

If you get a pump dispenser, fill it up with water and measure how much liquid is pumped out each time. Then you can just adjust how much water you mix with the ferts accordingly.

^ that's assuming you're dosing the dry ferts correctly.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

My Tank Is A 60g The Regimen Is From The Barr Report.the Reason Behind The Bulk Is Mostly For The Convience Of It.can Make A Big Squirt Bottle Full And Squirt,squirt.all Done.not Really Looking To Go All The Way With Dosing Pumps Yet.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
Well...

Add 3 x 1/2 tsp of KNO3
Add 3 x 1/8 tsp of KH2PO4
Add 3 x 1/8 tsp K2SO4
Add 30 mL of water
Mix
Shake & dose 10 mL each time
I personally would up the water, I doubt 30ml of water will even make all that dry fert wet.

Epic has the right idea, but as medicine man stated, you need to just check how much water you will need to dissolve the ferts.

I do something similar to what Rex recommends.
I have 10 small (ice cube sized) containers in a tray that was for baby formula, and dose out macros in there.

You can Measure out your macro doses into here (1 day into each compartment), and dump on the day you need:

And if some powder falls out of 1 compartment into the other, it gets dosed the next day or after.

On a 60 gallon, that is a lot of pumping to get your doses out

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!

Last edited by tazcrash69; 04-12-2007 at 03:57 PM. Reason: new info
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Rex:
I realize the adding of a small amount of dry material daily is a very small price to pay for enjoying the beauty of a nice planted tank, and for most people buying a specialty pump for this isn't worth it. But there are those who simply cannot depend on themselves to follow a long-term daily routine, and for that the pump/liquid additive approach might have merit.

I make (and sell) digital dosing pumps for the reef aquarium hobby, and I've always wondered why not use a digital pump for a planted tank?? One pump I sell offers two separate, parallel and identical channels, as well as timer compatibility. It would seem to me that, set up appropriately, you could just set the pump up, set the rate and leave it alone for days, if not weeks.

That would avoid a lot of mixing of dry materials and, most importantly (to me, who often forgets) would ensure that the same amount is going in daily.

I have a planted 55 gal. tank that has been neglected for a while and I'd like to bring it back. Unfortunately, I "know me", and I simply cannot believe that I'll keep up a daily dry dosing regimen for any period of time. Just a matter of acclimating to my personal shortfall (one of many). It DOES NOT mean I don't care about the tank, have lost interest or anything else. It's just that historically I've seen myself go through "attention cycles" in which the long-term attention to detail simply is not there.

I'd like to resurrect the 55 (lit by a single 175 MH), with automated CO2 control. If it's not a lot of trouble for you to suggest a formula of grams of dry mat'l per liter (or gallon) of water and a liquid volume to dose daily, I'll set it up the pump and "rock & roll".

tanksalot
Stan F.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

i am in the same boat as you stan,what my problem is is i set up multiple tanks then lose focus(not intrest).so i have scaled back to 2 60s.one planted and will spend the money for less maintenence,or in this case ask more experienced aquarists for advice.thanks epic and taz,i guess the idea of the ei is to slightly overdose and then w/c at the end of the week to reset the system.so i dont need precision.i mean i want as close as possible but a little more a little less im not going to freak out.thanks
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yashua View Post
i guess the idea of the ei is to slightly overdose and then w/c at the end of the week to reset the system.so i dont need precision.i mean i want as close as possible but a little more a little less im not going to freak out.thanks
Exactly!

After I bought a digital 10th of a gram scale, someone posted to me, "What for? It's not rocket science, do a big water water change".

It made my life easier.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg View Post
I can never figure out why people want to make a solution to dose a large tank. Why not mix the dry powders and just dose 3/4 tsp each time (in this case)?
I'm a bit quirky in my own ways, but I prefer mixing up 1g solutions of each fert and dosing liquid. The way I have it setup--I know what to dose without having to "Remember" or look at a chart for each tank, etc, etc, etc.

My P is setup so that 1ml/g of tank water=1ppm. So, if I want/need to dose 2ppm P on my 55g--I already know: Its 110ml.

1ppm of P in my 2g nano?--: 2ml.

Its all very simple for me. I have 100ml and 1000ml graduated plastic beakers and a plastic disposable cup for each tank. I marked the tank gallonage on each cup and reuse them. I can dose 5+ tanks in about 10minutes--standing mostly in 1 spot and only having to make 1 circuit around to dump the ferts into the tanks.

I just find that running from tank to tank with more than 1 container and switching spoons, etc to be more hassle than my way. When I run low on say P--I just break out the scale and P. Its written on the 1g jug: 20grams into 1g of distilled water will put me where I want to be: 1ml/g of tank water=1ppm.

It also make Auto-Dosing math a bit simpler. But once ya understand it--its pretty straight forward either way.

HTH

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksalot View Post
Rex:
I realize the adding of a small amount of dry material daily is a very small price to pay for enjoying the beauty of a nice planted tank, and for most people buying a specialty pump for this isn't worth it. But there are those who simply cannot depend on themselves to follow a long-term daily routine, and for that the pump/liquid additive approach might have merit.

I make (and sell) digital dosing pumps for the reef aquarium hobby, and I've always wondered why not use a digital pump for a planted tank?? One pump I sell offers two separate, parallel and identical channels, as well as timer compatibility. It would seem to me that, set up appropriately, you could just set the pump up, set the rate and leave it alone for days, if not weeks.

That would avoid a lot of mixing of dry materials and, most importantly (to me, who often forgets) would ensure that the same amount is going in daily.

I have a planted 55 gal. tank that has been neglected for a while and I'd like to bring it back. Unfortunately, I "know me", and I simply cannot believe that I'll keep up a daily dry dosing regimen for any period of time. Just a matter of acclimating to my personal shortfall (one of many). It DOES NOT mean I don't care about the tank, have lost interest or anything else. It's just that historically I've seen myself go through "attention cycles" in which the long-term attention to detail simply is not there.

I'd like to resurrect the 55 (lit by a single 175 MH), with automated CO2 control. If it's not a lot of trouble for you to suggest a formula of grams of dry mat'l per liter (or gallon) of water and a liquid volume to dose daily, I'll set it up the pump and "rock & roll".

tanksalot
Stan F.
For a minute there I thought You were describing me!

I use per gallon of RO water:

P---20grams:1ml=1ppm/g of tank water

N--370grams:1ml=10ppm/g of tank water

K--454grams:1ml=13.5ppm/g of tank water

Fe-143grams:1ml=1ppm/g of tank water

Mg-3cups:1ml=5ppm/1g of tank water

I rarely use anything except the P and K these days. I have little to no use for the KN03--I don't know why, but I don't. The Mg is for use on Hard water (Tap) tanks, and the Iron will probably go down the sink eventually....

I dose Flourish and Mastergrow from the bottles. Sometimes one, sometimes the other, sometimes 50/50. I dose traces somewhere between 50%-100% recommended dosage--it just varies.

Also, the K above doesn't dissolve 100% in that quantity of water, so I am getting ready to cut the grams in half and just double my ml dosing on it.

HTH

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I can understand making solutions if one is using a dosing pump. But to make a solution and put it in a bottle and then squirt it into the tank??????

If you have problems remembering to dose the tank then get a roll of duct tape and tape the fertilizer bottle to the fish food.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

rex you never fail to throw your flair in a post this is were i got the idea of the silly idea of using squirt bottles to dose my tank instead of using fancy dosing pumps.this is the method of one of our moderators bharada.thanks
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (67/100%)
thats a nice way, im using lab squirt bottles until iget autodosing set up

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode