Yamato Green - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (5/100%)
Yamato Green

So i just ordered some yamato green from their site.

Has anyone used this?
What do you think of it?
What makes it so incredible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I sure the YG pimps will show up.

It's nothing special. Just ferts mixed with overpriced water.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 03:14 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use it, love it and swear by it. It's done WONDERS to my tank- but don't talk about it. Rex get's REAL mad. he'll rant and rave forever about the fact that it's "not a legal fertilizer" It has everything you need in it, and if you NEED Nitrogen because you don't have enough fish, you can get yamato-N
Give it 6 weeks- You'll se a HUGE difference. In particular, watch for your red plants to get very pretty.
IMO-it's money well spent. It's not the cheapest, and not the most expensive. i think for the amoun tyou get it's pretty cheap for a liquid fert. You can get dry (which I haven't tried yet), but I'd rather pay a couple bucks extra to not have any hassel.
Are you running good lights and CO2?

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (5/100%)
Ya ive got AH supply 36 watt bright kit, and CO2. The tank is only 10 gallons so i'm doing good on the WPG. I ordered it. We will see how it does. I also gave in and got some Greg Watson dry ferts. The "EI" dosing seems to work wonders for people so i thought id give them a try. Im gonna have enough of that to last me until im 70 (18 years old now) but thats cool
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 03:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg View Post
I sure the YG pimps will show up.

Now why did you have to go and prove Rex right, kkentert?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkentert View Post
I use it, love it and swear by it. It's done WONDERS to my tank- but don't talk about it. Rex get's REAL mad. he'll rant and rave forever about the fact that it's "not a legal fertilizer" It has everything you need in it, and if you NEED Nitrogen because you don't have enough fish, you can get yamato-N
Give it 6 weeks- You'll se a HUGE difference. In particular, watch for your red plants to get very pretty.
What's not legal about it?

Any balanced, comprehensive fertilizer regime will do wonders for a tank that was previously lacking it. The Seachem Fluorish line has the same basic idea as Greg Watson, same as Kent Botanica, and so forth.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 02:56 PM
Algae Grower

I'm not really sure- Rex is on some high horse about tech specs(I think it's mainly because he wants to argue with people about things he's never tried) Anyway, he says it's not LEGALLY a fertilizer because it 's not x% this and y% that. I say it IS a very comprehensive fertilizer if you consider a fertilizer a mix of supplents that makes you plants grow like crazy. He seems to know more about what's in YG than the people who make it (who will happily talk to you about it if you call them- the guy spent a half hour on the phone with me the first time I bought it, and not "salesing" me up)-it's very funny.

The the difference i have seen with YG vs Flourish (which is what I used to use, as well as an Aquarium pharmacudical product i don't remeber the name of and a couple other liquid ferts) is that you only need one thing. They include it all, without making it so you have to buy2-5 bottles.(unless you need something that is probably already in your tank like Nitrogen which you can get Yamato-N for) Plus, it works a lot better. Rex reffers to me as a "yamato green pimp" (and it was soley me who he was talking about) but the difference between him and I is that I haven't tried dry ferts yet-and I'm open to it. He's never tried YG and has something against it.

hey- everyone's different. I say YG is woth a 6 week trial at least. Worst thing that happens is you end up wasting less than $20. In my opinion- ANY amount of money is wasted on something that doesn't work, or doesn't work well, and money spent one something that gives you a jungle is well spent!

Oh- One last thing - the key to why the stuff works so well (according to the makers) It contains growth stimulators. they won't say exactly which, or how much or anything, but they are present, and they're the key as to how you can mix the same "formula" at home that's on the bottle and not get the same results. Can you tell I LOVE the stuff?
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 04:06 PM

PTrader: (50/100%)
I think if there was a such thing as "growth stimulators" for plants they would be well known and everybody would be using them. There is no magic potion. No hocus pocus. Growth stimulators are NPK and micros. That's it. Also I may be wrong but how could this stuff contain everything you need when you aren't supposed to mix P with Fe? It must not have one of them.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 05:06 PM
Algae Grower

There are stimulators- they are called Auxins. The thing is - there are many different kinds.
As for P with Fe- I asked the same question- they used to NOT put them in the formula together- they do now, and have not had any problems to date (they've been doing it I THINK they said for 6 years now) before that they did not, but when they wan test, they say found no problems with it. More than anything though- it works for me!

I wonder if they're able to mix them because they make small batches that are fresh- Does it take a long time for them to react with each other? Does that make sense? But they said it still has a good shelf life (though it does have to be refridgerated...
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 06:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
The Technical Specifications portion of Yamatos website states that phosphate is not included in YG because "excess Phosphate can stimulate unwanted algae growth" I will leave the merits of this statement to each individual. Anyways, I would like to know what specifically the auxins are. Perhaps a visit to the hydroponic store is in order.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 06:45 PM

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
The Technical Specifications portion of Yamatos website states that phosphate is not included in YG because "excess Phosphate can stimulate unwanted algae growth" I will leave the merits of this statement to each individual. Anyways, I would like to know what specifically the auxins are. Perhaps a visit to the hydroponic store is in order.
If that is what they said then they are wrong. If you have a large amount of plants, are using CO2, have good filtration, and are dosing the correct ferts including Phosphate, then you should not have any algae. Phosphate will make your plants nice and colorful, along with iron as well.

If your plants are well nourished and healthy then you will not get any algae. I promise. If your plants are not nourished or healthy then the algae will gain from that. Good luck.

By the way, dosing EI is a great method. I have said this time and time again- there is not set amount of ferts to dose depending on the size tank you have. If you have a 29gallon you may need to dose a lot more ferts than someone elses 29gallon. The reason being is plant uptake. Use one of the dosing calculators on this site to figure out how to calculate how much your plants uptake/need. You may be surprised to find out how much more ferts your plants may need if you have a heavily planted tank.

-Ryan
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Algae Grower

I stand corrected- Sometimes I type to fast without giving it all the thoguht I should- Yes, there are NO phosphates. There should be phosphates in the tank already. If for some reason your tank does not have sufficient levels, you should dose that- but most likely, if your keeping fish in your planted tank, you should have them there.
But now-I have to go back- there are two things you shoudn't mix that they do (if I remember correctly) I'l try and remember what they are instead of posting falsly again- be back with the info later...
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I stand corrected- Sometimes I type to fast without giving it all the thoguht I should- Yes, there are NO phosphates. There should be phosphates in the tank already. If for some reason your tank does not have sufficient levels, you should dose that- but most likely, if your keeping fish in your planted tank, you should have them there.
But now-I have to go back- there are two things you shoudn't mix that they do (if I remember correctly) I'l try and remember what they are instead of posting falsly again- be back with the info later...
Fish are not going to provide enough phosphates. You will have to dose phosphates. I don't know where you are getting this information.

-Ryan
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Algae Grower

The phosphates would come from the food you give the fish. most fish foods have plenty - but yes you would possibly need to dose it. I don't-
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
The phosphates would come from the food you give the fish. most fish foods have plenty - but yes you would possibly need to dose it. I don't-
For anyone out there that read this, please do not think that fish food is a source of phosphate. You should only be feeding your fish an amount that they can consume in a very short period of time. If you are overfeeding your fish in the expectation that you are also providing phosphate, you are asking for disaster.

kkentert- I am not trying to be rude to you or anything, but please stop giving out false information. If you don't know what you are talking about then please don't give bad advice. There are a lot of people just starting the aquascaping hobby that read these posts in order to learn. If they think that fish food is a good source of phosphate then they will be asking a million questions about planaria, disease, snails, fish death, etc. Once again, I am not a mean person trying to make you feel bad. I just think its not proper to give false advice, thats all.

-Ryan
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Growth stimulators (auxins, gibberellins, etc.) wouldn't matter if the plants don't have what they need to grow in the first place.

I'm sure Tom Barr will show up soon to clear up the hormone deal.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode