Travelling on a plane with shrimp - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Travelling on a plane with shrimp

Anybody done it? I was mulling over two options: We are now allowed to take 100ml of liquid on airplanes, so I could put the Cherries in a jar to get through the security gate and then once on the plane, I would ask for water and put them in a bigger bag. Or I could pack them in a sturdy case and put them in my checked baggage. 5 hour flight. Do you think it's feasible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

Step 1: Call the aircraft carrier and explain your intentions. Some carriers have regulations like "no live plants or animals" but others might not. If you get the OK keep a record of date, number and contact name to show at the terminal (calling the terminal is also a good idea). Do not carry more $$$ than you can risk losing.

Step 2: See step 1 above.

Moved to Tucson.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
I would use a Kordon breather bag (http://www.goodeids.com/article167.html - be sure to click on the pdf to view the whole article) in your carry-on. I have a friend who has done this before with good luck. Make sure to leave lots of space around the bag for air to diffuse, and maybe open your carry-on when you get on the plane to allow a fresh breath of air.

Checked baggage isn't heated, so unless you put them in a cooler, I wouldn't risk it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Yeah, that's an idea. If you insulate in some sort of styrafoam box and find a way to keep it cool (cold pack?) that would probably be the best option. They assume anyone with a toothpick, stick of deoderant and glass of toothpaste a terrorist. Not everyone is a McGyver.
Good luck with transport, if that's what you end up doing

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You think keeping it cool would be the problem? I figured it'd get TOO cold, and you'd have to keep it warm. Especially in checked baggage.

I dunno, I'm always freezing on planes. I always seem to end up sitting next to "That Guy" who likes to blast the AC 100% right in his face. Bleach.

I <3 Eheim #195
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Banned

PTrader: (6/100%)
Call first and see if you can works something out. If not just try smuggleing them.

When I was a teen ager I smuggled a mouse on board in a water bottle used for sport drinks. I walked throught the metal detector with it.

I would put them in a baggie and with just enough water to get by and hide them on my body in a coat pocket or something.

If they catch you I doubt they would do much but who knows nowadays.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Think im gonna go the breather bag route. Thanks for the tips.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Just a note, if you use regular bags and not breather bags, make sure to leave room for the air inside the bag to expand. Otherwise the pressure difference when you get some altitude could cause the bag to pop. Water doesn't expand like air does, so breather bags with no air won't have this problem. They also are incredibly stretchy anyways.

Disclaimer: We at planted tank do not condone smuggling of any sort.

I <3 Eheim #195
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 10:41 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
it depends where you're flying to as well?

Some states won't allow import of fruits, plants, invertbrates,etc...

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 12:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

I flew from Detroit to SF with large goldfish in my luggage. Big doubled bags, lots of air (couldn't get pure oxygen), packed tight into a cooler. Label it appropriately IF your airline says you can pack fish. (I'd say fish. Even though they aren't.) If your airline says no--and make clear you're putting it in the LUGGAGE when you ask, because some airlines won't let you put them with the dogs/cats but don't care about luggage--then don't label on the outside and pretend you didn't know. Just label "fragile". Label properly on the INSIDE for the TSA, and ask them to retape the cooler. Of course that's flying within the US.

You could probably mail them to yourself.

If you're crossing provincial or national lines, there may be some concerns. State-wise though, there's no ag inspection requirements at airports except for Hawaii. Only the feds look at your stuff and they aren't the USDA--jut TSA. Non-explodey shrimp are fine!
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 12:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to dufus
or, you could ship them to your destination and forget about the whole plane ordeal. i think it's worth 4.05$ to not go through the hassle.

-Devin-
Steve irwin- a father, a hero, a memory now. -We'll miss you mate
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 02:00 AM

PTrader: (11/100%)
Starbucks cup?
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 02:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
I've done it a few times before with small non-aggressive reptiles. I just go into the bathroom, stuff them down my pants, go through security and then into another bathroom. No Problem. But I don't think it'll be that simple with shrimp!

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 04:54 AM
art
Algae Grower

... and also put some java moss on it so the shrimp had something to cling on during their journey

only a diamond can cut a diamond
eheim surface extractor
4x39watts t5 sunpro
jbl bubble counter
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 11:37 AM

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naja002 View Post
I've done it a few times before with small non-aggressive reptiles. I just go into the bathroom, stuff them down my pants
Excuse me sir is that a snake in your pants?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode