High Light without Ferts/Co2 But Heavily planted - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
High Light without Ferts/Co2 But Heavily planted

I've been coming across numerous tanks that have well over 2wpg but no ferts or co2 supplement and are perfectly lush and algae free, bare in mind they are pretty heavily planted.

Why can't this be done? If there are no nutrients for algae to use, even with the high light, how can it grow? If you keep a high fish load(too feed the plants), with high light and lots of plants why would algae still occur?

I dunno maby these people are just lucky or have struck a balance of some sort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 12:49 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm fairly new at this as well, so take my words with a pinch of salt. From what I understand, fish waste does not provide all the nutrients that plants need to grow well. And any time you change water parameters, algae is faster to adapt then plants.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
its probably fast growing plants, and alot of stem plants, and no maintance plants

One month in.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 06:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Light distance and type are also very important.

Try 3w/gal on new PC lights with out any ferts, no CO2, no excel either........see what happens and how well you can do.

The real question is why would you want to add more light and increase the risk of algae and messing up the tank more?

Adding more light does not "help"
Adding CO2 to low light tank help far more..............

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 06:51 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
lots of natural tanks use sunlight with no CO2 & no ferts... but has a really rich substrate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:06 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Adding CO2 to low light tank help far more..............
I'm finding this is more and more true. My 7 gallon's doing well with just under 2.5wpg with only CO2 as its nutrient source (maybe some leftover uncycled nutrients too). I'm adding no ferts. Only having diatoms atm. No other algae has appeared.

Oh, btw, I have an inert substrate. It's just aquarium sand only a few weeks old (no mulm).
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
If you take a look at how my local friend, Jeff and the gang, they all keep huge tanks or planted pond utilizing sunlight. They didnt add any water collumn fert at most time, almost solely relying on rich substrate. All share in common : no artificial lighting, no CO2, heavy and close interval water changes.

This rich substrate is considered as ferts, because they just mix it up intially upon setup with whatever they believe in (of course trough experience or personal research), namely paddy field mud/clay, dried fermented manure, rice husk, commercial aquarium base fert, etc into the base of the substrate.

Upon maturity and after some time, these guys would add on more substrate ferts, again some are using commercial products while the others would use the more traditional approach. The suppy from initial setup would be used up and periodically they must re-charge it.

Since they change water heavily, there is no serious issue to NH3 buildup. The constant new water also suppy water soluble nutrients such as micro elements, sometimes trace of phospate and nitrate. It is also believed the constant fresh water feed the system with carbon, hence the system grows as if using CO2.

Bare in mind that none of these guys let full sunlight hit the tank/pond. They would use heavy sunscreen, sometimes combined with semi-clear roofing to even up the light. Straight sunlight is just too evil for an artificial setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by medicineman; 04-12-2007 at 01:57 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Well,
We use sunlight and shade cloth out at the lab where I grow my weeds.
I use soil, typically a 3:1 sand: soil mix.

If I want to amplify growth to get more weeds, I will add KNO3/KH2PO4 etc, but typically it's not needed.

I have hard plumbed water changers on the 300 gallon coffins and set at a slight drip, so it gets plenty of water exchange.

When folks claim no ferts, they mean they still add it to the substrate...........and the tap and the fish waste are also ferts in all cases....

Tap has Ca/Mg/NO3/PO4 in a combo or at leats one or two of these.
Fish waste has them as well.

So you still add ferts..........it's deceptive to say you do not

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode