Why dont my plants pearl??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (5/100%)
Why dont my plants pearl???

i have plenty of light and CO2... I just dont understand why they dont pearl....EVER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 06:39 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'll bet if you provide some more detailed information (tank size, lighting system details, photoperiod, CO2 system, fertilization schedule, etc.), forum members will be able to help you figure out why the plants aren't pearling and whether that's a concern.

What plants do you have? What kind of growth are you seeing? And are you having any algae problems?
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Tank size- 10 gallon
Lighting- AH supply 36 watt bright kit
Photo period- 9 hours
CO2- Red sea reactor 500 (I am getting a diffuser by wednesday to see if tat works)
Ferts- (Seachem products) excel, potassium, nitrogen, iron.

I have hygro, anachis, glosso, baby tears, crypts, and pearl weed.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 07:00 PM

That sounds like enough light -- I wonder how much CO2 is making it into the water? (The reactor ought to help.)

How much of the ferts are you adding and how often?

I am sure that someone with more experience than I have will be able to chime in with some good advice, too.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

I am using the recommended amount on the bottles. everyone always says "dont overdose" , but i dont do exact measurements. Hopefully someone can help...
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Are your plants growing? From what I understand, pearling is what happens when the water RIGHT NEXT TO the leaf surface becomes supersaturated with O2, so you start to see the O2 bubbles (which can no longer dissolve into the H2o) rising to the surface. No pearling does NOT necessarily mean bad or no growth. I'm not familiar with Seachem liquid ferts, as I dose dry, but they should work. There may be a limiting factor in your plant growth, but I'll wait for someone else to chime in on that. How often do you do water changes?

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

I do water changed 2x per week 50%. Do you think i should only do 50% 1x per week instead. I do have plant growth. My hygro grows like a weed. But i dont even like that stuff. My glosso isnt growing very fast...Is it like HC where it takes a little bit and then grows like crazy? Hopefully this diffuser will make a big difference...
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

What kind of filtration are you using? What I have found is that it's difficult to detect pearling if the tank has a lot of current in the water.

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to dapellegrini
I am not sure that the recommended doses on the Seachem ferts are anywhere near say an EI regime. From Seachem on the Nitrogen dosing for example:

"DIRECTIONS: BEGINNER: Use 2.5 mL (half a cap) for each 160 L (40 gallons*) twice a week or as needed in response to signs of nitrogen deficiency (e.g. stunted growth, chlorosis). For smaller doses, please note that each cap thread is approximately 1 mL. EXPERT: The beginner dose raises nitrogen by the same degree that 1 mg/L nitrate would. This dose is sufficient to provide approximately 4 g of growth (dry) or about 20 g (hydrated) over a 1 month period (assuming all other necessary nutrients are provided). For increased growth use proportionately more. To target a specific nitrogen increase, dose according to the following formula: 0.25vn=m, where v= volume of tank in gallons*, n=desired nitrogen increase (if using a “nitrate equivalent” value for “n” then use a factor of 0.05 instead of 0.25 in the formula) and m=volume of product to use in mL. For example to raise 20 gallons* by 0.20 mg/L nitrogen you would use: 0.25*20*0.20=1 mL."

Are you dosing the "beginner" levels?
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
If you do 50% wc 2x a week, that's fine. I do about 2-3 wc's a week of about the same amount. Has your tank been set up a long time, plants growing, etc? I wonder if your Co2 isn't as high as you think it is. Do you have a drop checker? Don't trust your test kits, if you're going by ph and kh levels.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Planted Member

I think the dosing instructions from Seachem are for low-tech setups. If my quick math is right, an EI strategy would call for ~10ml of their nitrogen liquid 3x a week, for example, instead of the .625ml 2x per week they are suggesting for a 10-gallon.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Up your Seachem Flourish to 2mL and see if that works...

Rena Filtstar #137!
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

First of all 2wheelx2 i am using a penguin 150 (for a 30 gallon) and a whisper 5-15. That could be my problem. What should i use instead if that is the problem?

Second dapellegrini could you send me a site that has dosing for expert and beginner??? How did you do that math? How do you use the EI strategy???

Third Ringram i have the red sea drop checker http://www.arcatapet.com/fullsize/9991.jpg
I dont understand how this thing works anyways (it says "real time indication")

Fourth TropicalFish i will try bumping up the flourish a little bit to see if that works...
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 04:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Use a drop checker to check your CO2 levels. I bet the HOBs are outgassing your injected Co2.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 04:30 AM
Planted Member

Seachem has all of the dosing information on their site:

http://www.seachem.com/products/prod...hNitrogen.html

http://www.seachem.com/products/prod...Potassium.html

http://www.seachem.com/products/prod...hosphorus.html

http://www.seachem.com/products/prod...urishIron.html

http://www.seachem.com/products/prod.../Flourish.html

EI (Estimative Index) dosing is probably one of the most popular dosing models around right now. With your frequent water changes, high light and CO2 I am surprised you are not familiar. Here is a good beginner link:

http://www.barrreport.com/estimative...chy-folks.html

Most people dose dry ferts because it is WAY less expen$ive than dosing Seachem products at the quantities that you will need. 1/8 tsp of KNO3 (nitrate) is the equivalent of about 11ppm of nitrate. This is recommended 3x a week for example, though you may want to start with 5-10ppm 3x a week and see how it goes.

I used Chuck's calculator, and highly recommend it:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_aquacalc.htm

The drop checker recommend is also a very good one!

Good luck

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode