CO2 in 14 gallons ?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Greetings Folks,

I love this site, and I love all your tanks.. Beautiful work...

Whereas I've always been pretty good about keeping house plants, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to CO2, and underwater plant life... My Wife & I have recently started a 29gal paludarium,

:: take a look at my log here for specs :: https://www.plantedtank.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4342

and I've a couple questions on CO2 effectiveness for ya... The tank is only half water, approx. 14 gallons, and I was planning on making a DIY yeast bottle system, but was also wondering if it actually needs a big tank of CO2, and all the hardware to regulate, and disperse it, for such a small amount of water, and low light plants.. ?? Perhaps I should use an additive such as Flourish Excel or the like after water changes.. ?? I suppose my question is, how many gallons of water demand that you use a whole CO2 system to get good results from your plants ?? Anything under 50gal ??

Thanks for your help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 01:44 PM

Now, I'm no expert...but this is my opinion:

That large island in the center of the tank is casting a shadow on most of the water portion of the tank. You should be fine if you stick to low light plants, add a low dosage of a fert mix at water changes, and dose flourish excel daily. If you want to use CO2, it should be fine also...but probably not necessary. All you need for DIY is a 1-liter or 2-liter bottle w/ cap, some CO2 tubing, and a filter you can hook the output tube to. Heck, you could also try using an airstone at the output. In a low-tech tank, you don't necessarily have to be efficient with CO2 injection. A level around 10ppm is probably more than approprite. Its all an experiment when you first start--especially in an odd tank such as this. You'll be combating algae at first, trying to determine what fert regimen and CO2 levels complement your light level.

(experts, feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!)

If you plan on keeping amphibians in the tank, you may want to consider eliminating CO2 as an alternative altogether. Its not necessary, but some amphibians are very sensitive to the dissolved gas levels in water. I'm not sure of excel's effects on amphibians.

^iMp^
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Greetings Imp, thanks for the reply... I just got around to looking at the site again, and noticed all the pics on me link were smoked... ops: In any case, you're right about the light levels under the island... Since the last post I've put a little t8 bulb, 18,000K lighting the tank from the side, and there's noticible difference in the growth now... No amphibians planned, but I've got 10 fat redeye tetras (I can't help but feed em the brine shrimp as there's so many of the little buggers now), and a clown loach... I'll try the daily flourish Excel for the plants like you suggested as soon as I can find a bottle in my area...

Well, thanks again for the info Imp...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode