55gal Disaster - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (32/100%)
55gal Disaster

Well, I've done it this time. My 55gal had some algae, and I saw some stuff at Petsmart that said it would rid the tank of algae without harming plants or fish. Unfortunately, this was also at a time when a lot of things were going on, so didn't have time for the tank. Before I knew what was happening, I had lost several fish, all my mystery snails, and 75% of the plants in the tank had melted! I'm assuming it's the !%*& stuff I put in the tank. The kh and pH went thru the roof. I'm doing massive water changes, using part RO water, so will see what happens. That's what I get for taking the easy way out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via AIM to nellis
I had to talk sooooo many people out of chemical algacide when I worked at TFP last summer... I'm sorry to hear about your tank, but I'm glad to know that my advice wasn't for nothing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
man, that sucks. i know how the busy-ness can make you long for the easy way...

random sidenote... i'm a newb, what's RO water?

also, not sure if you're interested, but i've got some moneywort thats growing like crazy and needs trimming, if you want any...

good luck getting the tank back.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
RO= Reverse Osmosis.

I suspect your problems have more to do with an ammonia spike caused by the sudden algae die.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (32/100%)
Of course, I didn't have sense enough to check the ammonia when I checked the pH and kh, but the ammonia now is 0. I salvaged what I could, and stuffed plants in my nanos, the fish are toughing it out and haven't lost any more. I had just purchased 6 rainbows, and they never even acted like it bothered them. Ovenmit, thanks for the offer of some moneywort, but until I get this straightened out, I'm just going to add a few plants at a time back into the tank and see how it goes. No point in melting some more! A little algae would have been a lot better than what my tank looks like now. Oh, well, another lesson learned, and it certainly won't be my last mistake, and my nanos look like beautiful jungles right now!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode