Lacking Iron? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc
Lacking Iron?

I am also seeing some yellowing leaves on my A. Nana. The viens are still green but the meat is kind of yellowish. Also the riccia is kind of growing it curled.

I think this is an Iron issue. What do you think?

If it is an Iron issue then I guess I should pick some up. I have used Seachems Iron in the past but I am intrested in the stuff from Greg Watson's.
Has anyone used the Greg Watson Iron? If so what do you think of it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
5.65WPG, EI dosing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
4WPG, EI dosing

April 2008

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm betting it's not a lack of iron but some other nutrient.

If you are following EI with Plantex CSM+B then you have plenty of iron.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
What is EI ,Definition?

One month in.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
estamative index (sp)

happy fishing

75 gallon Tanganyika Community Planted
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Could it be lack of Calcium?this a copy&paste from Chuck's planted aquarium:
Distorted leaf growth
cupped leaves
twisted and bent leaves
twisted and short roots
Damage and die off of growing points
Yellowish leaf edges
I have seen an extreme Calcium deficiency which resulted in a sword plant where new leaves were growing in almost completely white.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ok, I guess I should have given a little more info.

Here is my dosing schedual: On a good week. The past couple weeks haven't been great with keeping up on the dosing.

40-60 Gallon Aquariums
+/- 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/8 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/8 tsp K2S04 3x a week
+/- 1/8 (10ml) Trace Elements 3x a week (using Seachem's Flourish)
50% weekly water change

New leaves:
Leaves grow in pale or yellow
Greenish nerves enclosing yellow leaf tissue
First seen in fast growing plants

I am not really seeing it in my fast growers but the newer leaves of the A. Nana.

If there is anything else I need to include, please let me know!

Thanks a ton!

5.65WPG, EI dosing

4WPG, EI dosing

April 2008

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
You really do not need that much light to grow anubias sp. ferns etc, dosing looks good based on a reasonable amount of light, I think you may be pushing things a bit to hard and expecting to much from it, without completely understanding what is happening or what needs to be done.

Tweak down the lighting a bit, add some Excel to your regime for a week or two, and stay on top of your dosing regime!
If you skimp on dosing look for trouble or reduce the light even more.

I have been using iron chelate from Greg for a few years with no problem, but if you feel you need more iron, just add more trace until you can get some.
Although, iron is not the problem.

Craig

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 02:15 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
doug,

Sounds like a few anubias leaves I've seen in my tanks also. I agree that they plant does seem more stable with lower lighting, or at least shade in the higher light settings.

I also noticed the leaves yellowing when I put them too close to my heater. There is other evidence that suggests higher temps cause anubias to yellow up.

Another good thing to point out is that it's pretty normal for NEW anubias leaves to be yellow when first sprouting, then they get the dark green color after a few weeks. The fact that your riccia is being effected might be another indicator, though.

Also, did you happen to notice the description for a Manganese deficiency? "Dead yellowish tissue between leaf nerves" sounds like another possible culprit?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah I know I am pushing things a little bit with the lighting... I am running 2.4WPG for about 7hrs and the 5.65wpg for 3hrs. So its not like I am blasting the 5.65wpg for 12hrs or anything.

This plant has put up it's second flower this month though...

From the sounds of things, maybe I just have a Micro issue. I will start by upping that a little and probably try getting my hands on some Iron. I don't think it will hurt anything. Plus work harder to get my dosings in.

Why do you suggest doesint Excel? I am running about 75ppm of CO2.

Thanks for all the input. If anyone else has anything I am game to take a peek at it.

5.65WPG, EI dosing

4WPG, EI dosing

April 2008

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 04:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Think of it as a tool, it will only help whether using gas or not. Excel is fine stuff to have in your arsenal.
Try it for a week you will see, especially if you use C02 it will add luster to the plants.
Do not over dose, read the instructions, start with half dose.

Craig

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 05:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I was using GregWatson ferts for my super high light 30g/192w and it was showing really bad Iron difiencies and I was dosing what you are.

I supplemented Seachem Iron and it helped a bit but not much so I went and got some ECA ADA product from ADGshop.com and it brought the plants back into order!

FUNction over form

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WfxXx View Post
Think of it as a tool, it will only help whether using gas or not. Excel is fine stuff to have in your arsenal.
Try it for a week you will see, especially if you use C02 it will add luster to the plants.
Do not over dose, read the instructions, start with half dose.
I pretty much always have Excel to use for the plants but I am getting really low on it. I have been using to take out my small random out breaks of BBA.

When I get some more I will start dosing it to see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the info!

5.65WPG, EI dosing

4WPG, EI dosing

April 2008

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklikewhoa View Post
I was using GregWatson ferts for my super high light 30g/192w and it was showing really bad Iron difiencies and I was dosing what you are.

I supplemented Seachem Iron and it helped a bit but not much so I went and got some ECA ADA product from ADGshop.com and it brought the plants back into order!
How long would the 50ml bottle last on a 40G tank? It seems a bit $$$ for my blood. Though it would be worth a try I guess if I have some cash floating around some time soon.

5.65WPG, EI dosing

4WPG, EI dosing

April 2008

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 06:50 PM

PTrader: (16/94%)
Quote:
How long would the 50ml bottle last on a 40G tank? It seems a bit $$$ for my blood. Though it would be worth a try I guess if I have some cash floating around some time soon.
Not very long.... Get the 250 ml....
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I don't think ECA comes in a 250ml bottle and you only use it once a week at 2drops per 1.5g or twice a week if you really need it.

I have only dosed it about four times and everything is back in order and looking really good!

FUNction over form

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode