Why is my crypt. so big? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Why is my crypt. so big?

I have some cryptocoryne willisii "lucens" which is extremely large/tall. Some of its leaves are at least 40cm high with very long stems and only a small leaf at the end. Even the newly grown leaves are around 25cm in height. This is extremely annoying since I intended to use it as a foreground plant except its to big, so I have to use it as a background plant, which does not suit it at all. When I was researching the plant all the sites said it was a low growing foreground plant, especially the "lucens" variety. How do I make it grow like all the crypt. willisii "lucens" on the internet and in amano's magazines?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 01:38 PM

PTrader: (70/99%)
How much light do you have over the tank?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

The tank has 80 watts of normal flourescent tubes. Its 50G in size and therefore only 1.6W/G. Im thinking of upgrading the lighting soon.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 09:29 PM

PTrader: (70/99%)
Maybe not enough light. You get more compact growth with more light. Sounds like it "reaching" for the light.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Do you reckon 120 watts (2.4W/G) will be enough?

Thanks for your help
Shaun
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
That's your answer right there. 1.6wpg of T-12 Fluorescent light is extremely low. Many of Amano's tank are in the 1-2wpg range, but he uses mostly Metal Halide, which isn't even comparable to T-12...much more intense. T-5 and PC would also be good. T-12 may get you good growth, but it probably won't get what you're wanting.

Edit: 2.4wpg would be better, but it's still T-12 light as opposed to something more intense. *MORE* light does not mean better growth necessarily. Light intensity is more important that sheer wattage. Read Rex's page if you still need some info (www.rexgrigg.com)

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 02:10 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
The denser a stand of crypts gets the taller the plants will grow as they all compete for the light. With crypts it doesn't matter how much light as it does how many plants. If you look at Amano's work you'll see that he has the shorter crypts spaced so that they have room to 'layout' rather than grow up. If you want a forground, learn to thin the stand, or just try something else, because crypts will just keep packing the stand.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 01:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via MSN to RachPreach
well i have 2wpg and mine dont grow worth a crap....

100g tank:10 small angelfish, 1 harlequin rasbora, 2 albino cory, 2 clown loach, 1 rubberlip pleco, 1 bristlenose pleco and 1 apisto borellis.
Rena Filstar xp3, 2x32 and 1x96 watts with no co2.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 03:00 AM

PTrader: (13/78%)
Why are you not happy with it? Just move it back some, or cut off the tall leaves so bottom gets more light.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 03:10 PM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Well, the somewhat obvious question that hasnt been asked: are you sure it is indeed cryptocoryne willisii lucens? Often times crypts get mixed up. BTW, the first hit on that scientific name on google http://www.tropica.dk/productcard_1.asp?id=107A shows it at 25cm+ not sure I'd call that a foreground plant. FWIW it also says the "lucens" is larger and longer leafed than the willisii.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode