Never have to change your water again... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Never have to change your water again...

I'm not sure what category this should go in, but I figured this is a safe guess. Move it if it's in the wrong spot, please. Anyway...I was told that with a saltwater setup, you never have to change the water. I was told the water goes through an extensive filtration system then back into the tank(I know nothing about saltwater...this is only what I was told). Is there a way that anyone knows of to do this with a freshwater setup? If so, how do I do it? If not, then could it maybe be possible(with a bunch of inventive minds on a forum thread)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 05:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
that is not true for either kinds of tanks. saltwater or fresh. you have to change water at some point.

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 05:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
I change the water in my FW tanks maybe twice a month. I have to change the water in my SW tank once a week!

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 05:47 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
In a low bioload saltwater tank with lots of live rock, it is possible. However, you need to supplement trace, and top-off water. The live rock not only breaks down ammonia all the way to nitrates, the many anerobic pockets break down nitrates into free nitrogen, which escapes the tank. My LFS has a salt water tank (actually the Live rock holding tank) that has not had a water change in over a year (supposedly). It's on a seperate filtration system than the rest of the tanks, with a sump filled with live rock rubble.

EDIT: An interesting idea for freshwater though. What if the intake rate of the plants was found and the dosing set to match it (and adjusted periodically) to maintain proper nutrient levels? Water coming in from water changes contains what? gH, kH, trace, ??? which can all be supplemented. After all, we need to ADD all that stuff to keep it from running out in a heavily planted high growth tank. Hmmmmm
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I assume it's not possible to make a setup that only requires a top off for freshwater tanks? I have to change my water once a week and my nitrates are still always high.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 06:11 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
If you frequent various fish forums, you would come to realize that folks posting on fish forums enjoy changing water.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 06:34 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just40Fun View Post
If you frequent various fish forums, you would come to realize that folks posting on fish forums enjoy changing water.
Changing water on a 10g is kinda fun. Doing a 50% water change in a 180g is another story
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 06:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

WCs are never fun.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 06:46 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
WCs are never fun.
I recently got snails. Sucking them out is kinda fun
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 06:55 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Let's put it this way, there are thousands of threads on this forum. How many of them are about minimizing water changes? Even suggestions about doing infrequent wc will normally be frown upon.
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 07:00 AM
BkD
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
at some point you will have to change the water in any kind of fish tank. there are other chemicals in the water that will harm the fish other than ammonia, nitrites and high nitrates. some fish release hormones that are harmful to themselves. like juvenile discus for example. they need frequent water changes because when they are young, they release alot of hormones that can stunt their growth.
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 07:00 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
w/c's even in the biggest tanks can be fun as long as you're smart enough to use a PYTHON!!! Anyone still using the bucket is in the dark ages. (unless of course it's a 10g)
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 07:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I use a Python for my 10g. =P Of course I have 6 other tanks to WC at the same time.

I recently ruined the threads on the stupid green thing for my Python. Yech.
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've heard a lot about this "python"...what is it and where do I get one? I use a cup and my sink for water changes . I also tend to my plants when there's about half the usual amount of water in the tank because I use regular scissors. Is there something easier than reaching into the water? Sorry for being clueless, but I'm really new to plants....especially planted tanks!
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 07:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

http://www.pythonproducts.com/aqprod.html

It's at PetSmart too. Print out a copy of the PetSmart price and bring it in to price match.

www.bigalsonline.com
www.drsfosterandsmith.com

^ those might be cheaper.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode