IM stepping into Discus ? TOMORROW? HELP APPRECIATED - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Exclamation IM stepping into Discus ? TOMORROW? HELP APPRECIATED

ohh man i cant believe im about to do this i think im actually about to step into the realm of somethingi know little about and something thats worth a bit of cash ! Ok ive read the basics here is a list of things i have to do

1. WEEKLY WATER CHANGES
2. TEM HIGHER ( is 79 f ok ?)
3. REMOVE BOISTEROUS FISHES
4. FEED A VARIETY OF FOODS ( i already do feed 3-4 kinds)
5. KEEP PH STABLE
6. REDUCE SUDDEN ENVIOURMENTAL CHANGES

i think that just about covers it. I think my largest problem is going to be with the water changes but ill have to work to keep these fish alive which should be a challange.

i have a few questions for you gurus first off my species list. Im going for a complete SA biotope plants and fish so here is the list as of now.

13 neons
5 emperor tetras
6 apistogramma agassi
7 hatchet fish
6 apistogramma cac (triple red)
6 blue rams
3 red turq discus
10 cory cats
11 ottos

question #1. does this seem reasonable for a 75 gallon heavily planted ? or do i have to futher lower this fish load ?
question # 2 Is a temperature of 79-80 degrees reasonable ?
question # 3 Im going to be dosing flourish as well as K2So4 and KNO3
will this be a problem for the discus ?
question #4 What important details am i missing about discus ? i need as much hlep as i can get as im probabily getting them tomorrow as they are on special for 20 -30 bucks each!

help is appreciated greatly !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
happy fishing
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 gallon Tanganyika Community Planted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 01:27 AM

PTrader: (11/100%)
LOL, go over to Simplydiscus, and up those water changes to maybe 2x a week at least. What will be your final fish load? that is pretty crowded. Go to a temp of around 82 and get near adult to adult discus. Also, with just 3 discus you may get some agression.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

that there will be my final fish load and 2 water changes a week is this a joke ? ohh man its a good thing that these fish are only 20 bucks if i have to do 2 water changes a week im gunna miss a few.

EDIT : you cant have any nitrates with discus ? how do ya'll grow plant without any nitrates ? i think im stepping in way over my head on this one looks like its time to go test for nitrates.

happy fishing

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 04:22 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello there!

i personnaly baught in october 4 wild discus, 8 emperor tetras, 7 corydora sterbai, 2 apisto and 3 ancistrus, for my 75 gallon tank...

well... within one month they ate all 8 empreror... and the male apisto (he was small... )..

i recently added 10 ottos and 12 blue tetras.

I guess what i am trying to say is that, your discus will eat the tetras you have in that list, and the ottocinclus... It's actualy good for them tho... just be ready to restock your tank regularly... or dont put these fish in...

On another note, that is way to many fish... i would shorten the list like this...

0 neons (they are nice in big schools, and a big school wont last... )
10 emperor tetras
-----OR
7 hatchet fish
2-3 blue rams or apisto ... choose, they might be a better choice than apisto... i find apisto a bit more... "grumpy"? :P..
5 red turq discus
6 cory cats (i have a school of 6 and it looks REALLY nice... doesnt look like a skinny group!...)
2 bisttlenose pleco

Im guessing your aiming for some domestic adult fish since your not going to be able to grow them well in your planted tank... Domestic discus are not as bad on the fish eating side... altho i have seen some dessimate populations of neons...

Probably someone have told you this before... Discus go well in groups of 4 and up... i've tried 4... and i want to get 1 or 2 more soon, because i have agression problems... i've kept them well at the store i used to work at in big groups...

I think they will be nicer if you have as many discus as possible (would be 5 or 6 for this tank...) and less fish of other species...

i dont recommend you have 18 dwarf cichlids... your looking for a bloodbath... they want about 20'' square each of territory... that i've read in many articles... i would only have 1 pair in such a tank...

GET 2-3 bristlenose instead of the otos... those wont be eaten!!! (otocinclus didnt last 2 weeks in my tank :S... altho i have a discus that only eats live i'l have to get him more... he liked those! easy picking at night!)

anyways... im about to start highjacking your thread... sorry bout that... i hope i answered your biggest questions... if you have more.. il try my best... shoot me a PM if you like...

Good luck with your discus!!

You will soon find that they are not harder than any other fish... you just need high quality feed... and good constant water changes!

-Bruno
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ohh man and just as i was getting convinced ! damm dream planted tank Wreaker !

I have been reading around and so far i have found that if kept with smaller fishes from a young age they wont eat neons actually you are the first that has said any such thing.Also as for the dwarf cichlids ive done things like this before and the species dont squabble with each other unless they are breeding.

also about the discus eating tank mates the store owner keeps his with neons under an inch and has no problems. also i have read that wilds are known for eating tank mates where as domestic ones arent. But im not a pro at this am i ?

also the ottos and corys dont really count towards the bio load as they eat more waste than they produce.

also im not at the point financially where i can buy 5 discus 3 is my limit for the moment also if i start this up and they die then it will be a loss of 60 bucks rather than like 150 dollars.

the tank fish list wont be full for another year close to so i have some time to work through it all.

happy fishing

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 07:30 AM
BkD
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
what size will the discus be? from 2-4 inches it is recommended for the health of the fish to be in a barebottom species only tank. temperature can range from 82-86 degrees for young discus. if you want them to grow quick to say..5"+ feed them at least 3 times a day with high quality beefheart or frozen bloodworms(something very high in protein). water changes is recommended to be done daily because of the high amount of hormones juvenile discus release and the excessive feeding.

when they reach adulthood, around 4.5-5 inches, you can lower the temperature down to 78-80 degrees. fed once or twice a day and water changes can be should be done at least twice a week. then you can put them into a planted tank with substrate and everything..make sure you acclimate them very well. drip acclimate for at least 2 hours in a dimmly lit room. when they are inside the tank leave the lights off for the next following couple of hours to avoid stress and shock.

when choosing tankmates for discus, make sure that the fish can tolerate the higher temperature range that the discus need. some species of plecos will suck on to the side of discus and discus will die from that. discus tankmates should not be a very active fish that will swim back and forth very quickly because discus will stress out. also, they should not be aggressive eaters that will outcompete discus for food.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 11:32 AM

Hi,
I'm in with BkD. I made a few mistakes with my first Discus or should I say that I could have done better. Mine are doing okay although I think that They are a bit small.
Here is a link to a thread I made 5 months ago:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...-pictures.html
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 01:44 PM

the ottos and cories do count towards the bio load, they dont consume fish waste they consume uneated food and algae and use O2 and produce Co2 like any other fish. They just turned one thing into something else just like other fish, though they are small they do add up.

Jason
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ok thanks for all the replies im thinking twice about these fish now. Im going to call the owner and ask him his tank specs first to see what type of tank they are flourishing in. He has them in a gravel tank with lots of neons and wild angels that he whas had forever. There are a few plants in there so ill ask him about his water changes.

So far the biggest problem has been the variety of info ive gotten. Some say they do water changes 1-2 times every 2 weeks (25%) some say they do 50% water changes every day ! One guy said he does a 250% water change every day through a drip method:

If i do choose to try these fish i will only buy 3 and try my luck in a year i will evaluate how i have done if its not working ill sel them for some store credit if its working wo know what will happen.

All of the fish i have chosen can tolerate a higher temp as they come from a similar region to the discus as do the plants. Every plant and animal is from south america.

As for the bioload i can do water changes 2-3 each week (50%) with little problem but any more might be pushing it i will observe the fishes habits if i notice they are not liking the water qualtity ill change my water change system.

a temp of 80-84 is being acheived right now as i have bumped up the temp.

as for the discus being kind a small anywhre from 4-6 inches is fine with me 5 inches would be a nice size for me.

any other help or comments are welcome and will help greatly.

IS anyone out there keeping a low mantaince dicus tank ( or at least low mantaince compared to 50 % water changes daily) ????????

happy fishing

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/75%)
I currently have a 125 planted with Discus and tetras and things are great. The idea that a big school of neons won't last is not accurate at all. There is a big difference between Wild caught Discus and captive bred. My tank consists of 3 Red Turqs and 1 Ocean Green Discus, 20 Neons, 9 Rummynose, 9 Lemon Tetras, 3 Brochis splendens, and 1 Clown plec and will soon have 2 BN Plecs. Aggression doesn't exist in that tank. My feeding regiment consists of Bloodworms, Brine Shrimp, and New Life Spectrum community pellets. Water changes happen twice in a 3 week span but each change is about 80%. My tank is will planted and I even dose with nitrogen. Temperature is kept at about 83 and the pH is about 6.4.

Keeping Discus is not as difficult as some believe. If you are keeping Wilds then it is most definitly a lot of work, but the captive bred Discus that are available today are much hardier than their predecessors or their Wild caught cousins. If you want Discus, go for it, they are beautiful fish and you won't regret it. If you want a look at my tank it's in the Photo Gallery forum over at simplydiscus.com

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ohh man thanks!!! this is the kind of thing im talking about so much variance in what people say !

i think ive come to a conclusion no 2 dicus are alike each one has its own preferences its own habits.

No 2 discus keepers are alike each has his/her own preferences on how he/she keepes them.

Im going to call the guy at 11 when he opens and ask him how he keeps them

temp
water changes
feeding
biolaod in his tank is quite large also
and if his fish eat others

also i have come ot realize that wilds are much more fiesty and will eat tank mates whereas domestics rarely do.

thanks for chalking one up for the relative low mantinance discus tank !

anyone else ?

happy fishing

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 02:41 PM

I just picked up a 120 and have been thinknig about discus again (i had no luck in the past) so i'm keeping a close eye on this thread, good luck with the set up, i've been seeing some really nice ones floating around the market and hopefully all will be well in your tank.

If i do it i'll be trying the drip water change system to keep down the water changes and nitrates, not sure what to do about nutrients for the plants in such a set up but i'll cross that bridge if i choose to go with them. I'm thinking it'll be a ton of driftwood .

I always ask what the oddball fish are feeding on and for anything over 15 bucks or known to be picky i ask to see it feed, if they wont/cant/already have i'll come backwhen they can.

jason
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

GOOD NEWS i think im actually going t otry my hand at discus!

he does water changes 1-2 times a week feeds 2-3 times a day and has a temp of 82 !

ok so here goes im going to purchase 3 red turq's

fedding will happen once at 4;00 and once at 8;00 and possibly some times at around 12;00 noon

temp will be 81-83 degrees

water changes will happen firiday, sunday and sometimes wedensday.

i will accllimate these fish for 3-6 hours drip style turn off all but one tube of lighing spread out my vals to add more vertical height.

Wish me luck ! and look for an update later on tonight !

happy fishing

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 04:04 PM
BkD
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
well if youre ok with your discus at 5" go ahead and throw then into the planted tank. they will still make a beautiful display tank. its just some discus can grow up to 8"+. good luck with your discus and have fun
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 05:57 PM

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BkD View Post
well if youre ok with your discus at 5" go ahead and throw then into the planted tank. they will still make a beautiful display tank. its just some discus can grow up to 8"+. good luck with your discus and have fun
Ughhhh, do you have a quarantine tank? One other thing with discus owners (or other fish for that matter) is quarantine, quarantine, quarantine. You don't want your new discus coming down with something in your show tank and then can't treat them. Let them get acclimated in a quarantine tank, know they are healthy and eating (and you can treat anything if they become stressed and aren't). This will also give them time to get used to your water and to you before putting them into their final home.

Tina

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode