Fuzz algae ! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Fuzz algae !

Hi !

My 10G tank is getting hit by fuzz algae.**It seems it got triggered by Flourish Comprehensive (or I may be mistaken).**Every time I change the water it seems to get worse and even worse if I prune plants.**I realize fuzz algae is rather common, but perhaps there is a solution to it ?

The circulation in the tank is pretty poor.**The plants got so large that they are blocking the current, but I am afraid to touch them because it will probably lead to another jump in fuzz agae.**Most importantly I noticed that the part that has good circulation from the filter has no algae at all.**Do you think this may be the root of the problem ?**Just in case I ordered a small power head to get water moving.

Also, my tank has almost unnoticeable amount of phosphates and nitrates...**I know ... I know ... I've read about EI and PPS methods and perhaps I will have to go that route.**I am a bit afraid that other kinds of algaes will wake up when I start adding fertilizers.**Do you think 0 nitrates and phosphates cause this problem ?

Here are some stats about my tank:

10 gallon tank
DYI CO2 ~ 30 ppm according to CO2/KH/PH chart
Lights: 28 Watt 50/50 Coralife + 2x10W Lights of America aquarium bulb ~ 4.8 wpg (or less)
Adding Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Leaf Zone (potash and iron) above recommended doze
Plants:**hygro, red ludwigia, glosso, hairgrass
6 small fish, including Chinese algae eater

Thanks for thinking about this problem !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via AIM to SuRje1976 Send a message via MSN to SuRje1976 Send a message via Skype™ to SuRje1976
Got a picture? NO ferts is likely the problem. How long has the tank been setup?

Sergio C.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
-
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
The tank was set up for little over a month. The fuzz algae was coming and going, but this time it stuck around for at least couple of weeks. I reduced the lights and that seemed to help a little bit. Just today, I removed all plants that were hit particularly bad. I want to see if it will be coming back.

I'll try to take a good picture tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply !

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via AIM to SuRje1976 Send a message via MSN to SuRje1976 Send a message via Skype™ to SuRje1976
I'll keep an eye out for the picture - what color is it?

Sergio C.

-
-
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 03:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode