Newbie (don't cringe ;)), setting up a 46 AG bowfront. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Hello folks,

First off, I'm new to neither aquariums or forums. The last thing you want to see is a general question from someone who hasn't taken the time to do his research (eg. "How do you setup a planted tank"). I've been keeping community tanks (30 gal and smaller) for nearly 20 years. The water in my town is quite hard (20 DH, 15 KH), and has made all of my African Cichlids feel right at home.

But through all the rock formations and caves, I've always wanted a lush planted tank. Green everywhere! Not even any gravel exposed. It would be so relaxing to have a nice, soft tank to look at, where all the fish are slow-moving and getting along (not chasing around like children in a candy factory). I've invested in a fully automated CO2 system (and did all the research that goes with such a thing). I have a 2-96W power compact, 3 bags of Flourite, a 6 stage R/O deionizer, and all the powders, liquids and tests.

K, now that we've established my history/current skill level, let me start with the questions (not yet answered by reading older threads).

After much reading, I've decided that the Eheim 2026 or 2126 will be the best filter for my tank. I know that low/no [fish] population tanks may not require (and, in fact, may be benefitted by not including) biological filtration. But I plan to put a fair amount of fish in this thing, and don't feel like I have the skills to dabble with a system that doesn't have a safety net.

So, on to the questions.

1. Since I prefer to have as little plastic in the tank as possible, I would be grateful for any recommendations on in-line CO2 reactors that could be hooked up to this filter. Will I need to monkey with hose sizing adapters? Should I worry about leaks?

2. Again, since I want a very unobstructed tank, I would like any advice on the performance of the heating unit that accompanies the 2126 unit. Is it reliable? Is the temp stable? Does is have the umph to keep a tank at 80 degrees in a room that is 20 degrees cooler (the tank will be up against an outside wall)

3. I have a solid black background on my tank. I cut it to fit nicely wedged within the plastic molding. I only used a couple, small pieces of scotch tape to make sure a breeze doesn't take it off. The background is standard glossy stuff. I've read recommendations to use vasoline (with the help of a credit card) to secure this type of background to the back of the aquarium. But it doesn't look too bad the way it is. Would it look that much better if I went though the trouble?

4. (not an important question: just knit-picking ). Since I'm using a black backround, I think that the green intake/outflow tubes (standard on the Eheim filters) may produce an undersirable contrast with the background. Anyone have any experience with this. Does it look nice? Did you use black replacement tubes (such as the tubing from Magnum filters) - if so, was this difficult?

Well, that is enough for now. Don't want to spook away your expertise with a verbose 1st post ops: .

Thanks,
Ted

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 09:04 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
i just bought a 2028 and it came with both the green intake/output and their newer greyer version. I too didnt like the look of the green one but the grey one looks very nice. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...;N=0&Nty=1
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 09:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Once your lush green plants grow in you will hardly be able to see the intake or the out take, they are very easy to hide if you have a lot of green.

George

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 10:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unirdna
1. Since I prefer to have as little plastic in the tank as possible, I would be grateful for any recommendations on in-line CO2 reactors that could be hooked up to this filter. Will I need to monkey with hose sizing adapters? Should I worry about leaks?
There are some good reactors you can purchase, but they are pricey... I suggest you check out the DIY section of the forum. I built my reactor for less than half the price of the store bought model. Most reactors, DIY or store bought will require some hose adaptation... Leaks are always a concern. Making sure connections are secure and correctly tightened is key...

Jason

120g, Flourite & Sand. DIY Stand and Canopy. CF lighting 3wpg, Pressurized C02, DIY reactor. 2-XP3's, 500watt heater.
Heavily planted
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I would paint the back of the tank. That way the background stays in place. I build my own reactors. See my FAQ for a picture of one.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 11:54 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Let me be the first to welcome you to the board Unirdna!

As you can already tell, everyone is happy to help answer your questions.

The Eheim 2126. Great choice. I have one, and I love it. The temperature is very stable, and it is an absolute breeze to use. The only alternative to a thermofilter is an inline heater some of the members have started using. They have just got them, so the reviews just starting to dribble in. As for the green plastic tubing, Eheim is starting to package a couple of expansion kits with their Pro II series filters. Along with all of the media for the filter, you get gray plastic intake and outtake tubes. I just ignore the tubing in my aquarium. :roll: It doesn't' t bother me.

Hope I was able to help.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
You guys rock!

Thanks for your patience and advise. I'll check out all your leads.

In the coming weeks, I will be finally adding water to my tank. I noticed many of you documented your setups (Mike, I've only read through page 5 of your monster thread), and I plan to do the same. It should prove entertaining at a minimum. And any/all advise y'all want to give would be great. Besides, we all like photos .

Mad props to the chief (Kyle is it?) and the moderators. What a terrific resource.

I'll be back.

Ted

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode