WPG Rule? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
im new to planted tanks (that is to say that this time im putting all my effort in). I have a 125g with around 290 watts on top, now ive heard people on this board state that the WPG rule changes on larger and smaller tanks. I have 2.3 wpg but does this constitute a medium or low light tank? the substrate is around 20 inches from the lights. I am also in the process of purchasing the milwaukee reg, and the AM 1000 reactor hooked up to an eheim 2028. Is this adequate lighting for most plants and not just low lighters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 08:27 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
The rule bends such that you could get away with less light on larger tanks and you need more light for smaller tanks. You've got all the light I'd ever use on a tank that size. You should be able to grow foreground plants in that tank. I definitely wouldn't recommend upgrading lights until you've let the plants grow with the CO2 setup for at least a few months.

- Sam P -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 08:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

HI, and welcome to the board. I have a 120 gallon tank with 300watts over it and there isnt anything I havent been able to grow yet.

I would say your tank is medium-high light. You will probably grow most thing without much trouble...Of course each tank and setup is different.

Jason

120g, Flourite & Sand. DIY Stand and Canopy. CF lighting 3wpg, Pressurized C02, DIY reactor. 2-XP3's, 500watt heater.
Heavily planted

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

very cool, every other time ive tried to grow was with ridiculously low light (and without a dam clue) now i hope i can just get it going. I would like to see an idea for a wall, the only one that i can find is buck's. Are there any more around? I do have lfs standard substrate and was wondering if i should use root tabs or add different sub?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 09:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

Regular gravel by itself has worked for some, but I would suggest somthing additional, maybe mixing in some eco,flourite or putting laterite under the gravel... I use a sand/flourite mix and add root tabs around my plants that are heavy root feeders.

Jason

120g, Flourite & Sand. DIY Stand and Canopy. CF lighting 3wpg, Pressurized C02, DIY reactor. 2-XP3's, 500watt heater.
Heavily planted
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 09:27 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
I would like to see an idea for a wall, the only one that i can find is buck's.
You lost me here... what wall ?
Lighting
You have plenty.
Gravel
As long as your gravel is small enough to keep the ferts in the substrate you will be fine with it.
New tanks and new gravel are much harder to start with then a tank that has been setup for a while. The fish mulm and a good bacteria bed are not worth removing. Like wellbiz allready said , just mix in some flourite or eco if you need to add to the substrate for size or depth or dont bother adding anything at all and just seed the base with Flourish Tabs or Root Tabs etc. (after planting) and it will grow fine.

Bury the suckers deep.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

in a 75 that i thought was yours there was this badass looking wall with part of the sub raised higher than the rest. I was looking at something like that but the slate would contrast too sharply with the tan rocks i have
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

ok just went to lfs and dam flourite is not cheap for the amount i would need :shock: , i guess nothing in this hobby is though. So another question i have for you folks, when you clean your tanks do you dig the gravel cleaner in at all? i couldnt imagine not doing this because it sucks up black sludge everytime. Now if i were to stop going so deep with it would the fishies excrement help to nourish the roots? Or would this just kick my nitrates up to uncontrollable levels? i think im just gonna use root tabs =<$
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 10:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphozo
ok just went to lfs and dam flourite is not cheap for the amount i would need :shock: , i guess nothing in this hobby is though. So another question i have for you folks, when you clean your tanks do you dig the gravel cleaner in at all? i couldnt imagine not doing this because it sucks up black sludge everytime. Now if i were to stop going so deep with it would the fishies excrement help to nourish the roots? Or would this just kick my nitrates up to uncontrollable levels? i think im just gonna use root tabs =<$
That black sludge is black gold for your plants... I never vacuum the substrate in my tank. I will suck build up off the top(dead leaves, leftover food), but never dig in...

Heavily planted

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode