Anyone have success stories with non-C02 (& non-Excel)ta - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just wanted to see if any of you are 'bucking' the system and finding success with non-C02 injected tanks (and non-Excel).

How much light do you use?
Substrate?
Fish?
Size of tanks?

What is your secret?

Thanks!

I know you are out there somewhere!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 04:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Well, hardly bucking the system- non-CO2 used to be all there was back a few years ago. I think lots of folks have had/do have non-CO2 tanks. Here's the thread for my 20
https://www.plantedtank.net/forum/vie...light=treatise

Most of the info you're asking about is in there somewhere. I had to make some changes to get rid of the algae, one of them was to stop injecting CO2 :shock:
The last pics are non-Excel also, as I have just begun using Excel on this tank as an experiment to see what it does. Current lighting is just over 2 wpg, Onyx over Flourite mixed with gravel, 10 black phantom tetras, 6 Cardinals, 2 Ancistrus, miscellaneous snails, one Chaetostoma spp., two cories, 3 otocinclus. I think that's it.

James
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 04:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

i've used soil substrates with success and no added co2...you have to be careful using soil though.,

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, that's what I'm looking for! I know ya'll are out there, but it seems that everyone almost states that Co2 is impossible for over 2 Watts per gallon.

Be careful with the Excel. I OD'd and killed my CAE. Bacteria find it quite the tasty treat, using up the oxygen in your tank. Also watch your nitrates. I would dose it below the recommended dosages.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
My 15g tank is running on just two 19w CF bulbs and a 33%sand/33% pea gravel/33%Kitty Litter mix. I used to use CO2 but eventually stopped and the following plants still grow fairly well:
Giant Hygro
Crypt Wendtii
Anubias nana
Jungle Val
Cabomba

It took a very long time (6 months) to get past various stages of algae but this tank has settled into a low/no maintenence tank that I can enjoy. I need to post some updated pictures soon.

- Sam P -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Yes pictures would be great! I will post mine if I can.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

These are from my 29 gallon with Eco-Complete (only one bag) and 130 watts Compact Fluorescent right now, no CO2. I did use Excel up until 2 or 3 weeks ago when I killed my CAE due to an Excel overdose. Now I add ammonia daily (no fish in there right now). I am resisting buying C02 but probably will at some point. There is a tiny bit of BBA that hitchhiked with some plants as well as some thread algae, but neither bad as of yet.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

The pix of your slate tank and progression were great, Aquaverde! Really nice.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 09:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
How long have you had it running with that much light and no co2? What kind of bulbs are in your fixture?

George

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

It has not been running very long with that much light, maybe a little over a month? It's been without Excel for about 2 maybe close to 3 weeks now. I had OD'd the Excel, however.

I have a 24" aqualight with two 65 watt 6700 K freshwater bulbs on it. I place the fixture left front corner to back right corner (don't know how else to explain that) so the light coverage is as good as it can be (being that it isn't the whole 30" the tank length is.

I do have well water very high in C02 (28 ppm), but I haven't done a water change in the same amount of time that the Excel has not been used (since no fish in there). I have added a little water to replace evaporation.

I only occasionally put Fluorish fert (the normal one) and once put a few drops of iron in there, but nothing else (well and the ammonia I've been putting in daily).
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 11:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

With that much light I'd be scared not to run co2!

George

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

I will add C02 soon, but because I'm buying a setup for my 55 gallon, I'm not about to buy a set up for the 29 as well -- so I'll get the small Hagen thing. However, I know that there has to be other methods. As the saying goes "there are a thousand ways the skin a cat," or something like that. I am hoping that there are some 'alternative' folks out there that are trying different things and are finding success with them.

On a side note, my hornwort seems to be assaulting my macranda. I keep pushing it away, and it keeps floating back to my macranda. I suppose it has to be the water flow, but its getting me annoyed!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 03:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

The hagen unit will help, but it probably won't be enough for a 29 gallon at least not long term. How far apart are the two tanks going to be? Would it be possible for you to run both tanks off the same co2 cylinder?

George

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

They are very far apart, at the ends of two different rooms.

It seems to me that sometimes traditional plant tanks are a vicious cycle. Add light, add C02, then plants use up the nutrients too fast, and you have to add more nutrients.

I like high light, red plants, but I do not care if they grow tremendously fast. I know I don't want to get into the vicious cycle of trying to play "catch up."

I also have a 2 gallon hex with a 10 watt compact fluorescent screw in bulb over it with many many plants packed in there. It is doing tremendously well, with deep reds and no algae. That has been going for several months now. I did use Excel in that tank, and now I'm going to switch over to ammonia like the 29 gallon and see what happens. I've found Excel to produce a bad smell in the air after awhile --perhaps from the decomposition that produces the Co2. The first day after I stopped Excel and added Ammonia, the smell was ten times worse! (with lack of fish, I had been dosing large amounts of Excel in there).
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 04:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

oh so true pisces girl. yea, definitely ferts is a must in those high light high co2 tanks.

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode