My Darter tank not doing so well. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My Darter tank not doing so well.

Hi All,
It's been a while sinse I have had the time to come here, so, hello to everyone. Now dow to business.

I have a 15 gallon tank with North American fish, Darters, Sand skimmer and a couple of top minnows. It has been set up for abou 10 months now. My problem is alge growth. Here are my latest test resuts.

Temp: 72.5
TDS: 305
KH: 3^
PH: 8.2
Nirtite: 0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 5

Here are some pictures:

As you can see I have a nice alge growth. The plants are being smothered.

I'm running a 6700K 55 watt Compact about 9 hours a day.

Any sugestions?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 12:12 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Yup, with that much light over a 15g and no co2 injection you will have algae. I recommend injecting co2, or putting about 25-30 watts of light over the tank instead of 55.

For now, manually remove all algae if possible, and any algae infested plants. Then, STUFF hte tank full of plants most importantly some fast-growing floating plants, like hornwort. They will block some light and soak up nutrients.

Great looking fish by the way!! is your water naturally that basic, or do you buffer?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Hi esarkipato,
I do use Excel and I did try a DIY CO2, but this tank is in the basement so the ambiant temp down there is not suted to DIY CO2. As for my water, I use reconstuted RO water. The PH is higher than I like and I will be taking some corective measures. Maybe I'll swap the light out with a 50/50 I have.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 01:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Swapping out with a 50/50 won't help. Olants won't grow as well, and algae will still prosper. Lower you photoperiod, maybe to about 5 hours per day, until you get a lot of floaters and/or CO2.

BTW, cool fish. Are they an Ethleosoma sp? If so, which one?

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Hi,
THe Darter with the coloring is Etheostoma caeruleum
Here is a link:
http://www.btdarters.com/pages/jumborainbow.html
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
those are orange throats

you can also do try overdosing the excel. i have found that works very well for killing algae. i was using the new tank recomendations for doseing and doing that every day. i had a bunch of fuzzy lookin algae and hair algae, it all died.

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
all gone now

Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 02:05 PM
Algae Grower

Just a hunch but do you feed them blood worms??

sl
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Yes, as a matter of fact I do.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 04:23 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
I don't see why swapping the 50/50 bulb wouldn't hurt. There's no proof that an actinic bulb would help algae prosper...at least not to my knowledge. I see that as a pretty effective way to lower your usable wattage...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 04:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
It will look like a funky color with a 50/50 bulb on top of it. Whether or not it will worsen or improve the algae, I'm not sure either, but it's worth a shot imo, as long as you post the results here for everyone's benefit

Member of PAPAS and GPASI - Pittsburgh Area Planted Aquarium Society and Greater Pittsburgh Aquarium Society

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlong View Post
Yes, as a matter of fact I do.

bingo.

I do not know why or what it is but when I start to feed blood worms I get really bad algae growth. I have many tanks and have observed this over the years. Especially with my matom tadpole cats. I guess their demand for feeding is greater than some of my native minnows and darters. The Matom won't eat a lot of anything else so I just put up with it. I also try not to over fed but no such luck with results.

Of course my tanks have no co2 and lots of light but it only occurs in the tanks where I have fed the blood worms. Pretty easy to guess when there is a row of 10 tanks.

I am not saying that this is the problem, it may be a combination of things. But this is my experiance.

Has anyone else observed this in their tanks, especially those who keep some native fish?

sl
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
The 50/50 spectrum won't "help" any algae. However, it isn't helping the plants either. Half the spectrum is mostly unusable to plants, but it is usable to algae.

This means that an algae problem won't go anywhere.

Simply put: algae can use the actinic spectrum, plants can't effectively.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode