Reason/s not to Drip-Acclimate your critters?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (5/100%)
Question Reason/s not to Drip-Acclimate your critters??

After reading this article ( http://aquascienceresearch.com/APInfo/Acclimate.htm ), posted courtesy of aman74, it has left me with the question/s of whether one should not drip-acclimate fish/inverts/etc and just follow the advice of the authors of the above article mentioned. I do have questions on how they came up with some of their data.

I know everyone has an opinion on this matter. We do what has worked for us. I. myself, drip-acclimate my critters. I've always believed it's better to slowly introduce your tank water conditions to newly aquired aquatic pets. This has always worked well for me. How about you?

Note: This discussion orignates from the following thread: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...vior-help.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 04:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
DO IT! I've always learned to drip acclimate my shrimp and my corals...should I not be doing this?
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

I can understand with fish/inverts that took a couple of days to ship (even just one day), that you want to get them out of the "contaminated" bag ASAP. But wouldn't the immediate placing of them in the QT tank cause even more stress and even possible fatalities?

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

Well apparently from the conclusions of that article, we shouldn't be doing drip-acclimation.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

In the very first statement made by the author of that article: "Temperature acclimation, in fishes, typically takes 10 days or more." Really? Does it? I mean, I don't really know?!? I haven't study fish that intensely....is there documentation to support this?
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 04:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Uh, so, if we read #3:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
Follow these steps; the “squirt & dump method”:

3) For tropical fishes, be sure the water in the receiving tank is the same temperature as, or warmer than, the water in the bag.
What if my tank isn't warmer than the bag? Do I crank up the heater and wait the two hours it takes to raise the temperature, or should I just float the bag to equilibrate the temperatures to reduce shock?? =P
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

Those of us with shrimp, know how sensitive are shrimp are to our water conditions (some varieties more than others). I've read a few posts where some just put them straight into their tank (as suggested by this article), though I think most of us drip-acclimate them. I guess the question would be.... are we successful because we introduced them slowly to our water conditions or the water conditions are favorable anyways and they didn't need to be slowly acclimated?? (baring the health of the shrimp to begin with of course)
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Doesn't #3 become mute if it actually takes 10+ days for fish to acclimate to temp?

See, it doesn't make sense in some respect.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 04:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

http://www.aquacon.com/chat.html

That site says to drip acclimate. =P

edit: That's for saltwater, FYI.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 04:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
When they can keep the most sensitive species and have no or very little losses, they can contact me.

I suggest the drip method and anyone worth their salt knows drip is super.
I do not buy it and nothing they said even made doubt that position.
Drip is the way to go.

Osmoregulation is far more toxic and an important issue for fish in changing environments.

Drip addresses that very well.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 04:53 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have been at my lfs when they have received their shipment.They just dump them into the tank.Funny thing is some fish do just fine but others end up dying.I have dumped fish into my tank before with no problems as well as floated the bag,never dripped though.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

ARG (AquaScience Research Group, Inc.) is responsible for this article. There should be data that led them to this conclusion, correct? Maybe I'll shoot them an email and discuss some of my concerns.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 04:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
yea, that whole things seems like a waste. i don't buy it either. very exaggerated.

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

I too would like to see "their" evidence that this method works. I understand this article is not "scientifically" written, but they are making a point/s that need to support their claims. I think that would be really helpful.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 05:06 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Well they do make those products for shipping so wouldn't it be in their interest to say not to acclimate to sell the product?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode