Glosso leaves turning yellow? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ming Send a message via MSN to ming
seems like a sign of deficiency...
what is that usually a sign of?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taken down

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taken down
10G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-ins Cherry Shrimp Tank
29G, 2x65W PC Coralife, Flourite Taken down

Taken down

75G, 2x54W T5, 90lbs Flourite

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 03:52 AM
2la

PTrader: (0/0%)
New leaves? Old leaves? How and what do you fertilize with? What are you water and lighting parameters. Gotta give us a lot more to go on...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

old leaves, i fertilize with flourish and flourish iron 1ml/week
i do a 40% change per week of the water
but i dont know the parameters because i dont have a test kit
and having 26W PC on my 10G tank

Taken down

Taken down

Taken down

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 04:47 AM
2la

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'd suspect nitrate and/or potassium deficiency since you're not dosing those at all. Some basic test kits would help clear the picture a little more, though.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks. I got only these 2 because they were available at my LFS, they didn't have anything else. I guess I'll have to order the Potassium and Nitrate from online.
Any recommendations on a cheap test kit? Price is my main issue why I never got them before.

Taken down

Taken down

Taken down

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 12:46 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
There really aren't any cheap & reliable Potassium test kits. Just dose enough to attain 20ppm once a week.
Aquarium Pharmaceutical's Nitrate test kit is decent and cheap.

- Sam P -

Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 01:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I would suggest a Red Sea nitrate test kit because it's much more accurate at lower nitrate levels. Also I use a Red Sea phosphate test kit.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 01:50 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ming
....and having 26W PC on my 10G tank
For some reason that just doesn't seem like enough light for glosso....but that's a gut reaction. Anyone out there growing nice glosso under less than 3 wpg?

This is a secondary concern to the limited nutrients you are giving your plants as discussed above.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 03:53 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Can someone post a little pic of how "nice" Glosso should look like?

After redoing my 10 gal recently, the Glosso just started to spread out. Actually, last night I added Jobes to the substrate, which will help to keep the leaves green. It is not nice yet, the original leaves still covered with the usual "new tank algae". That's under 2x 10W Walmart bulbs with good reflectors. I suppose the lighting is similar to 2x 13W AHS fixtures, maybe a little less. I hope it will cover up the substrate completely, although it will probably not grow as fast and strong and in three layers like under 3x as much light.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 04:18 PM
PT Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
Can someone post a little pic of how "nice" Glosso should look like?
You've never seen Amano's books? :shock:

Sean

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
I would suggest a Red Sea nitrate test kit because it's much more accurate at lower nitrate levels. Also I use a Red Sea phosphate test kit.
are phosphates and nitrates the most important factors i should be testing for? $20 on kits isn't too bad, i thought it was going to be like $50+

Taken down

Taken down

Taken down

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 05:49 PM
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMurphy
Oh, Amano Glosso. A gently swaying sea of green. 8-10 W/gal?

You are right, Glosso that nice is probably not achievable with 2-3 W/gal.

I will post some "low light glosso" pictures once it has filled in a little.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 05:52 PM
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
are phosphates and nitrates the most important factors i should be testing for? $20 on kits isn't too bad, i thought it was going to be like $50+
For planted tanks, NO3 and PO4 are very important factors to test for. You should be able to get test kits online for ~$8 each, plus shipping. So with about $20 you should be set.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 06:34 PM
PT Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMurphy
Oh, Amano Glosso. A gently swaying sea of green. 8-10 W/gal?

You are right, Glosso that nice is probably not achievable with 2-3 W/gal.

I will post some "low light glosso" pictures once it has filled in a little.
I was just kidding, his glosso is stiff from all that light, no swaying there.

James' (aquaverde) "lower 40" tank has some nice lower light glosso in it.

Sean

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 10:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

Oh, it's not lower light glosso, it just looks that way :lol:

I have had 3wpg or better in that tank since the glosso was planted. It gets overshadowed a lot, though between trimmings, and that light level in a 10 is really not the same as it would be in a bigger tank due to coverage issues. Probably only the center of the glosso in my tank gets "high light".

I cut a good portion of it out night before last to put in the 30 (which has just been upgraded to 96W PC).

James

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode