My End of Tank dump tale of woe :( - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
My End of Tank dump tale of woe :(

So I got back from a week of vacation in the mountains to find all my fish (except 2 endler females) dead. The disk for the diffusor was blown out (it was one where the disk is head by a rubber ring - bubble counter/diffusor all in one). I have a nice needle valve from Rex, so that's not the problem. I searched through some threads late last night and found that the consensus was a large drop in pressure = all liquid CO2 gone. My pressure went from 800 to 400 in the last week just before my vacation. Would a LPR have prevented this disaster?

Body count - 2 Bosemani Rainbows, 2 Congo Tetras, 3 Cardinal Tetras (left over from a school of 20), 5 Rummy Nose, 5 Harlequin Rasboras, 2 male Endlers and an Oto.

The loss is not that great financially, but it really sucks that I basically choked these poor fish to death because of my negligence.

And now I also have a tank of BBA to deal with. I guess I'll have to do a black out and prune prior to reintroducing any fish.

Any suggestions for a recovery? Should I do the blackout? Or should I just get the CO2 refilled and cranked while the fish load is low? And then prune all the algae off? The tank looks a mess right now. I managed to do a 75% water change right away when I got home, but that's it.

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
I would prune of all the leaves affected by BBA, remove as much of it as you can. Try an Excel OD spot treatment in areas heavily affected by it. Refill your CO2, then crank it up while your fish load is still low.

Yes, you had an end-of-tank dump. A sure sign is when the pressure drops dramatically a week or so before the tank runs out, much like your situation.

And yes, a LPR most likely would've helped to alleviate this situation, if not preven it. LPRs are designed to vent any gas that exceeds a certain psi. So when the end of tank dump occurs, all the excess would've blown out the vent hole instead of going into your tank.

Sorry for your losses....but it seems as if this week has been particularly bad for CO2 disasters. I think I've read maybe 3 or 4 threads, including yours, that have to deal with gassing fish due to CO2 problems!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll be contacting Rex for LPR's. Man, should have done my research before the tank got low.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 09:09 PM

PTrader: (16/94%)
I guess its better to invest in a LPG than killing all of your fish....
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Live and learn...I've made plenty of mistakes. But as we make mistakes we get wiser. I bet you probably won't have another end-of-tank dump again...at least it wasn't a very expensive mistake this time.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, I am about to set up a CO2 system for my 125 gallon. Lucky it didn't happen there. My big cichlids and plecos are very precious to my wife and I.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch_man View Post
I guess its better to invest in a LPG than killing all of your fish....
It's not the gauge. The gauge works fine. I saw the pressure dropping, but I just didn't realize all of the CO2 had gone gas phase.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 09:15 PM

PTrader: (16/94%)
Opps.. I mean low pressure regulator...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
It's funny. There are people in the hobby that will swear that a needle valve will prevent the EOTD. I know they are wrong. This is not the first post about this. And everyone had a needle valve.

And just so everyone knows. The LPR will work on most any commercial regulator as long as you replace the needle valve and don't mind the loss of the bubble counter. Or I can rig them to run in-line with a second needle valve (you just open up the old needle valve all the way).
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 04:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Terrible news 2wheelsx2. Another thing I have done before leaving town is to put the CO2 back on a controler, just in case. Or kill the gas if it is remotely possible. I just did that when I went out of town for a week.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 04:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

To chime in on what Betowess says, I'm pretty scared that something bad will happen with my tanks, given all the electronic gadgets and whatnot, so before I go on long vacations, I switch my tank to low-light/low-tech and turn off the CO2, drop the lighting, cut down on the photoperiod, etc..
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

That sounds like a good idea. I'll certainly consider that the next time I am out of town. Usually I travel by myself, but this time we went on a family vacation, so my wife wasn't there to monitor things.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode