Help my tanks are covered in algea ! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Help my tanks are covered in algea !

ok there is lots of lage in my 75 and lots in my 18 both have the same algea could someone advise me on a treatment apart from manual removal and
H202 I have tried everything but nothing has worked so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
happy fishing
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 gallon Tanganyika Community Planted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 08:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
...is that all strands of algae? Or is it on the glass? Green water? I think it looks like strands to me.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Many exceptionally large water changes, balance lighting/ferts/CO2/water parameters.

Throw away any plants that can't be saved. Remove as much as possible. Add algae eaters.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

there are lots of algae eaters i have taken away ferts, lowered and reduced photoperiod and intensity, increased co2 nothing so far is working... As for water changes i have to work on that but i did one today.

happy fishing

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
...is that all strands of algae? Or is it on the glass? Green water? I think it looks like strands to me.
^^^ is it strands, on the glass, etc...? You might have a few different types of algae, and each might need a different technique to fix it.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

it is strands yes.

happy fishing

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Take a clump out, and put it in a white bowl and take a picture for us. What's the texture? Is it of a rough brillo pad? It shouldn't be slimy at all...rough, tough.

It looks an awfully lot like clado.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

nope its smooth and slimy deffinatly not clado it doesent branch like clado.

happy fishing

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If it's not clado, then good!

Some algaes are due to low phosphates, so what I would do is trim/remove all the algae I can, do a large 50-60% WC, lower your lighting to half what it is now, if you can, get a drop checker and bump up your CO2 to optimal levels, and dose fertilizers as usual. You can try to dose a little less than what you usually do, but do dose.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i will get some phosphate and lower lighting my co2 runs at 6.0 ph on a selunoid ill bump up Kh though but im confsed about this drop checker ?

also ive only been dosing tropica master grow with the addition of nitrogen when needed do i need to dose any thing else ?

happy fishing

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 11:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Macros are NPK (nitrogen, phosphate, potassium)...if you dose GW ferts, then the potassium should be enough.

Your TMG is for micros, so you're going to have to start dosing phosphate and nitrogen consistently.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ok so i need to go out and buy a bottle of phosphate i would prefer to dose a soloution rather than the whole EI method im in the process of redoing my tank... lights, plants, fish, driftwood, external co2 diffusior and scissors are needed so money is short plus shipping from america is a pain and a hassle.

happy fishing

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 11:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Ahh. You can go to a nursery. They might have some raw ferts. Other than GW, I'm not sure where else you can get dry ferts. If you can get your hands on some KHPO4 and KNO3, then you'll be good to go.

I sent you a PM regarding the drop checkers.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 12:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have been dosing dry ferts for a few years and I only live 1/2 an hour away from you!! what do you need ,maybe I can help you,
Homegrown Hydroponics is the best place to buy all kind of dry or liquid fertilizers.
go on their site and you'll find one near your home.you can find almost everything you need right here in Toronto.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
What is floating at the top? I'm wondering if you have a bunch of water lettuce and its blocking too much light?

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode