Am I Overstocked????? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Am I Overstocked?????

I have a 36gal. corner aquarium heavily planted running C02 and using Gregs ferts. I have 3 danios, 9 cardinal tetras, and two Otos. I have a pair of Leopard Frog Plecos coming next week and a pair of Apisto Dwarf Cichlids. That will be it for fish for me. Am I OK? Or do I need to get rid of some of the Tetras? My filtration is a Eheim 2126 rated for like 100gal.

Ammonia:0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 5
PH: 7.2
GH: 9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
I would say you are fine as long as those plecos don't get giant.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, No the Leopard Pleco L134 only gets 3.5"-4" max.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Totally fine. Those fish are all small except for the Pleco's and even then, plecos dont swim around too much anyway.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

I took two of the tetras back along with one danio so I feel better now. Thanks all
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehl2229 View Post
I took two of the tetras back along with one danio so I feel better now. Thanks all
You didnt have to. it was fine.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
I think it was fine and also Danios like to be in at least groups of three so they can establish a pecking order.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

I guess with this being my first FW tank I'm kinda treating it like my SPS {Small Polyp Stony corals}reef tank that it must have little bioload in it. "I must relaxe"
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
LOL, I know waht ya mean. Once its like the tank fills out then you would want more believe me lol.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 10:37 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
This is a rather unusual thread because we planted tank aquarists rarely talk about stocking/overstocking. That's more like a fish-keeping forum, and the threads of that type that do pop up once in a while always seem like they belong at a fish forum (where that type of thread pops up every other hour instead of about once a month).

When we do talk about stocking, it's normally in regard to fish we like for the planted tank, or if an artistic discussion (which is kind of rare at PT anyway) it'd be about fish suiting/not-suiting an aquascape.

The only over-stocking threads we see on a fair basis regarding specifically about planted tanks, are about discus stocking. Just because discus are a sensitive fish with regard to stocking.

We almost never have threads about over stocking tiny fish like Tetras/Danios . . .

Ie-- don't worry about this type of thing too much. Like the others said.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 02:11 AM
Planted Member

Once you have your planted tank going, its only natural to have some fish swimming around. Its the "final touch". I would think twice about those Pleco's though. They're going to eat your plants. When I turned my aquarium into a "planted" tank, my pleco had a field day with anything green I was putting in so I traded him in at the LFS. With a planted tank, I prefer Danios, Angels, Rainbows, Gouramis, Otos, Corys, and other community fish that wont dig up or otherwise damage the plants.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 02:16 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplosive View Post
Once you have your planted tank going, its only natural to have some fish swimming around. Its the "final touch". I would think twice about those Pleco's though. They're going to eat your plants. When I turned my aquarium into a "planted" tank, my pleco had a field day with anything green I was putting in so I traded him in at the LFS. With a planted tank, I prefer Danios, Angels, Rainbows, Gouramis, Otos, Corys, and other community fish that wont dig up or otherwise damage the plants.
Actually my gourami is having a field day ripping up my hairgrass and marsilea for his bubblenest
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 02:19 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrona View Post
Actually my gourami is having a field day ripping up my hairgrass and marsilea for his bubblenest
What kind of gourami do you have? I have a Moonlight and a golden gourami and they never dig. I also had a Pearl and some kind of blue and a reddish dwarf gouramis that never dug either.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

L134 is mostly a meat eatter
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 02:30 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
What kind of gourami do you have? I have a Moonlight and a golden gourami and they never dig. I also had a Pearl and some kind of blue and a reddish dwarf gouramis that never dug either.
I have a blue neon dwarf gourami (I believe that is the correct name at least)

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...0/DSC_0413.jpg

Fearsome little bugger eh?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode