Ready to take tank to next level - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ready to take tank to next level

Hey all,

OK, I'm not so good as an aqua artist just yet. I've finally got a hold on keeping things fairly balanced in the tank. I've had this for about 8 months and read everything I can find on this forum and others. The wood is finally staying put and I'm ready to go further. The only thing I'm dosing right now is nitrates. The plants are using it up at a rapid rate. Also, any help identifying plants would be a help. I sorta just bought a few a while back without really paying any mind. Mostly crypts. Any suggestions on layout and what type of plants to add maybe?

Mar 07

Thanks in advance
v/r
Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry, havent figured out how to get my sig to work until now!!

55 Gallon, 220 Watt AH Supply Setup, pressurized CO2, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 Rubber Pleco, 1 Gold Gourami, 7 Black Skirt Tetras, 2 Zebra Loaches, 2 Flying Foxes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'm addicted!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 01:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
You need to get more plants in there. And start dosing other nutrients. Might as well pick up a CO2 system while you are at it.

Looks like you have C. wendtii, a red melon sword, another sword I can't identify, and a bunch of Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum).

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was thinking of putting some java fern in on left over the rock. I think the rocks kinda scatter your focus from the right side. Opinions?

Im also trying to get the hornwort going just to cover up the intakes of the filters.

The hardest part has been trying to find a good foreground plant locally. Id like to fill in around the front of the wood and place something taller behind it. Unfortunately I had some Vals but the bloodfins seem to feel its a delicacy!

55 Gallon, 220 Watt AH Supply Setup, pressurized CO2, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 Rubber Pleco, 1 Gold Gourami, 7 Black Skirt Tetras, 2 Zebra Loaches, 2 Flying Foxes

I'm addicted!!!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 02:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Edit: double post.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Nice and clean tank. An easy and hardy foregrown plant is Marselia. I've seen it in Swap and Shop and the minuta is the smallest. I also agree, you will want some more plants. The good thing about the Crypts is they don't require a lot of maintenance and grow a little slower. But they are root feeders.

You could put in something like Cyperus helferi as a tall grass like plant, possibly Blyxa aubertii which is a larger version of B. japonica and is a nice background to make things more interesting. But I would consider keeping even more Crypts

Java fern is a good idea too. You might like the Wendlov variety.

Have you checked out one of our moderators Crypt tanks. Its by Bill Harada and is awesome.
http://www.bharada.com/aquaria_120.html

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode