Tired of Crushing Pond Snails---Digititus Syndrome - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi all, I'm tired of crushing pond snails. no matter how many i crush, they multiply especially in the thickness of my java moss and riccia. I'm open to all types of suggestions...but i'm most interested in a solution involving snail-eating fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 06:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Dwarf pufferage!!!!!!!!!!!

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

in a community tank???

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 08:10 AM
2la

Easiest solution: Reduce your feedings, and up your maintenance. Snails subsist on whatever organic matter is available. You won't entirely get rid of them (but nor would snail-eating fish), but you'll keep their numbers in check.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 09:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Lol,probably not for the community tank... allthough I have been toying with the thought after seeing them in a mixed tank at the LFS
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 11:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I once bought 4 tiger barbs, as soon as I put them in the tank they went nuts and ate every snail in sight within minutes.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 01:26 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
In my 55g tank, my Clown Loaches prevent the snails from achieving any appreciable populations at all. In my 15g, there are no loaches, just a Paradise Fish and an Angel, and the snails don't stand a chance there, either. The Paradise Fish has a hard "beak" like a Siamese Fighter, but bigger than the betta's, and crushes those snail shells like crazy.

- Sam P -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 02:33 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Yoyo loaches can take care of that in no time
I have 3 in my 100 gal tank that was once overrun by snails, it took them almost an entire day to clean that thing up. Now I throw in snails from my neglected 40 gal tank every week or so to give them something to play with.
Of course, you need to "like" them. They are all over the place, eat every kind of fish food, and lots of it. During feeding time, they get so excited, they even try to pull food out of other fishies mouths.
My wife thinks they are really cute. The black and white pattern, and their behaviour, makes them attractive.

post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 02:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

I am with Wasser, you cant beat those Yo-Yo's. They are like little rockets shooting around the tank. Fun to watch.

Jason

120g, Flourite & Sand. DIY Stand and Canopy. CF lighting 3wpg, Pressurized C02, DIY reactor. 2-XP3's, 500watt heater.
Heavily planted
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

hi guys thanks for all the suggestions, now from all these suggestions, is there a loach that stays small?? actually i'm looking for the smallest loach than can eat snails...by the way, can they play nice with a school of cardinals and a bunch of guppies??? =)
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 04:30 PM
Are these real?

B. lohachata, the Yoyo loach, reaches up to 4 in tanks. Not really small, but nowhere near as big as Clown loaches can get.

The smallest loach is B. sidthimunki, the Chained loach. Not sure how good of a snail eater they are. http://www.loaches.com/species_pages...dthimunki.html

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

yoyo loach sounds good...will it bother the cardinals and guppies too much?

post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Are these real?

How big is the tank? They need some space... I don't think they would bother faster fish like cardinals or guppies. They might be a nuisance for shy fishies.

post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

i have a 40 G long 4 foot long

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 05:14 PM
Are these real?

Hmmm... the thing with using loaches is... the snails will be gone, but the loaches are still there. So you need to be sure you really want them. You should get at least 3, and in a 40 gal tank that would make them the main attraction, and also increase the bioload quite a bit. I am not saying it wouldn't work, but you need to realize that you are getting into a "Loach tank", which might not be a bad thing, of course. Also, if you had several tanks with snails, you could probably move them around (into a bigger tank) if appropriate.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode