New to the planted thing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to the planted thing

Ok,

for some bkg:
well I started keeping aquariums at the beginning of last summer, so about a year ago. I started with a 40 Gallon breeder Cichlid tank. This did pretty well for the few months that it was up. Soon after I had discovered my love for Fish tanks I fell in love with the idea of SW reef tanks, so the 40 soon turned into a mixed reef. For Xmas I then got a 125 gallon set up and moved the reef into it. The 125 is now up and running quite well.

I now sit with a 7.5 gallon betta tank with an internal filter, a 50/50 PC light that screws into a socked, with plastic plants and gravel.

I also have a 40 gallon breeder with 2 AC 50 powerheads, 2 AC 50 powerfilters, and a 2x96 watt PC lighting fixture.

I am completely new to the planting scene and I am having a hard time piecing how put one together with all of the best components. Do you have any advice for me, on either one of the tank. I am guessing that I will focus more on the 40g one because once I get that one taken care of the 7.5 will come naturally.

What kinda Substrate should I use? Do I need CO2? What K temp on bulbs? How many watts? A good sight to buy and look at plants? How do the plants deal with higher temps (my room gets real hot and I wont be able to run a chiller on this)?

thanks for the help in advance.

If you are interested in seeing some pics of the reef to better understand my experience (i guess this would show you my personal likings...mainly to show the tank off i guess ) you can pm me and ill send you a link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Take a few minutes and read my Guide. It will answer a lot of your questions.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 05:21 PM

PTrader: (5/100%)
And since you are in the SoCal area, check out SCAPE. (see my link) Great helpful people and we're having a meeting 3-31-07. Wonderful opportunity to get plants, etc. and meet fellow enthusiasts who are VERY helpful too!

BTW, welcome to TPT! Rex's got a GREAT guide there too. It's helped me out alot!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode