I just decided to redo my 5 gallon planted tank since for the first time in my life something worked too well. I want to add more plants to the tank but there is no way I'll be able to manage it with the current dwarf lillies eating up all the space.
I used about half an inch to an inch of african violet soil for the nutrient layer and just enough normal gravel to cover it and hold down smaller plants. Well and to look a little tidier.
I removed most of the water and the dwarf sag and little anubias, java fern and the two small crypts. When i went to unearth the two lillies i was horribly impressed and not to mentioned a bit stunned when the entire soil body of the five gallon was made up nearly entirely of roots from the two bulbs.
I've made a right fine mess of the tank rinsing the gravel and soil separate. right now i have the gravel waiting and the betta is cupped (none too happy with it either) and the plants are bagged awaiting replant.
I'm not 100% sure what to do with the bulbs. I know i dont want to put both back into the tank this time the big one alone is enough for it. I"m thinking for now i'll plant the bulbs into my 10 gallon holding tank that sits in front of a window in my fish room. Its not what they are used to but it should be enough to keep them going for awhile until i can make a tank up that will hold them.
I did get two little offsets that were so well rooted they tore loose from the main plant when i was removing them. Those i'll probably replant in the tank and see how they do.
The main reason for the redo is i got a chance to harvest some hygro from the display at work that i've been wanting for awhile and i want to put that into the tank with another species to bring some color into things. Normally i'm one for "if its not broke don't fix it" but doing that is how i have 12 fish tanks, experimenting is half the fun for me
I"ll try to get some pics of the plants and what not if i can get a hold of camera.
I'm not 100% sure how i'm going to replant those bulbs with the massive root system on them, i dont really want to trim them back any. Though they did start from simple little tubers a few weeks ago and i suppose what was done once could be done again.
well time to go net the latest bunch of damnable pearlite off the surface of the soil bucket while i wait for it to settle out.