Hmm what a mess. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hmm what a mess.

I just decided to redo my 5 gallon planted tank since for the first time in my life something worked too well. I want to add more plants to the tank but there is no way I'll be able to manage it with the current dwarf lillies eating up all the space.

I used about half an inch to an inch of african violet soil for the nutrient layer and just enough normal gravel to cover it and hold down smaller plants. Well and to look a little tidier.

I removed most of the water and the dwarf sag and little anubias, java fern and the two small crypts. When i went to unearth the two lillies i was horribly impressed and not to mentioned a bit stunned when the entire soil body of the five gallon was made up nearly entirely of roots from the two bulbs.

I've made a right fine mess of the tank rinsing the gravel and soil separate. right now i have the gravel waiting and the betta is cupped (none too happy with it either) and the plants are bagged awaiting replant.

I'm not 100% sure what to do with the bulbs. I know i dont want to put both back into the tank this time the big one alone is enough for it. I"m thinking for now i'll plant the bulbs into my 10 gallon holding tank that sits in front of a window in my fish room. Its not what they are used to but it should be enough to keep them going for awhile until i can make a tank up that will hold them.

I did get two little offsets that were so well rooted they tore loose from the main plant when i was removing them. Those i'll probably replant in the tank and see how they do.

The main reason for the redo is i got a chance to harvest some hygro from the display at work that i've been wanting for awhile and i want to put that into the tank with another species to bring some color into things. Normally i'm one for "if its not broke don't fix it" but doing that is how i have 12 fish tanks, experimenting is half the fun for me .

I"ll try to get some pics of the plants and what not if i can get a hold of camera.

I'm not 100% sure how i'm going to replant those bulbs with the massive root system on them, i dont really want to trim them back any. Though they did start from simple little tubers a few weeks ago and i suppose what was done once could be done again.

well time to go net the latest bunch of damnable pearlite off the surface of the soil bucket while i wait for it to settle out.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

Well after attempting to replant my tank i can say that i have a whole new respect for people who can plant stemmed plants in a nano sized tank. I know my substrate at the moment doesnt allow for easy planting but dang.

My driftwood still hasnt water logged well enough so when it floated up it took half my scape upw ith it.

I think tomorrow if it doesnt look remotely like i want i'll be truckign to work to get a bag of eco complete do this damg thing the right way.

As for my homeless lillies they'll get a planting tomorrow somewhere in my mess of tanks.

Compared to earlier today i cant say that i'm liking my new cloud of dust but i'll give it sometime to sort itself out.

*sigh* time to move my cuttings the fish are trying to eat them

jason
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 07:20 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Talking

BUMP for some advice. I would give you some, myself, but I don't know what I'm doing

How are you doing? Sounds like you were freakin out the other day.... POST PICS!!!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 11:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
How about some pictures. Give your driftwood time, it will sink. Patience.

Not sure about the replanting and cutting of the roots. i have done it with no problems, but i have also never asked...lol. maybe someone has the better anwer for you on that one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

So far so good, put the driftwood into my Q tank with my cetopsis catfish. it'll sink in there eventually. Got the water cleared up with a big water change. The betta is happy to be out of the bowl again and back in his tank.

The litte offsets actually have three or more leaves and a few roots on them, they pretty much look like the tiger lotus we have at work..the over priced tiger lotus at work.

I dont think i was freaking out just simply amazed at the mess i could make with a five gallon tank . I have 12 tank and short of a seam burst i couldnt make that mess .

I also set up a 30 gallon with pool filter sand substrate for the hygro to move into as soon as i get the lighting sorted out.

I intend to post pics as soon as my girlfriend coughs up the dang camera, preferably with the batteries this time.

I also got some pots for the bigger lillies to go into so i can still give them the nutrient rich substrate they thrived in with out filling their next tank with pond mud.

Jason

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode