Newbie to plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Newbie to plants

I have a 36gal. corner that has been cycling for 4 days now. I am doing the fish cycle method but I used Bio-spira which I have used in my reef tanks and its great. I have 7 danios in there right now which I will take four back when tank is cycled "ugly color" But I have a package of plants coming from freshwateraquariumplants.com next week. I am looking for a certain aquascape design and they helped me put one together. But my concern is my water ready for plants? I have been using RO/DI water but my RO ready additive is not here yet. I do have Florish ready to add but I wanted you guys to let me know if I should start dosing it before the plants get here? Below is my water parameters I'm using red sea test kits my nitrate kit didn't come with the kit so I had to order one, its also not here yet

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
PH: 7.2
Nitrate:?
Phosphate:0
GH: 10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 02:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You need to add N.P.K plus trace element ferts.and don't forget co2 injection .
http://rexgrigg.com/
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by distrbd View Post
You need to add N.P.K plus trace element ferts.and don't forget co2 injection .
http://rexgrigg.com/
I have been injecting C02 since starting the tank up, I thought it would help make my water softer. What is N.P.K.? I have stuff called Fresh Trace from seachem that has potassium and mag in it, would that be OK?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Im not familiear with fresh trace but it would be my assumption that it will only suplement potassium and mag in small doses. Hence the name trace it's probally meant to dose trace minerals. You will need to dose K in a much larger quanity im sure. Also you cant forget about your other important fertelizers like nitrogen, phosphorus, and iron (may be covered in the trace, I'm not sure). Most people like to dose these seperately. Check out rex grigg's website for a good guide on dry fertilizers. http://rexgrigg.com
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to JHipkin
Adding CO2 will lower the PH which isn't the same thing as "soft" water. Soft water has minimal dissolved solids. Why do you want soft water?

Check out the Barr Report. It's a great resource for knowledge on aquatic fertilizers.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 03:26 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehl2229 View Post
I have a 36gal. corner that has been cycling for 4 days now. I am doing the fish cycle method but I used Bio-spira which I have used in my reef tanks and its great. I have 7 danios in there right now which I will take four back when tank is cycled "ugly color" But I have a package of plants coming from freshwateraquariumplants.com next week. I am looking for a certain aquascape design and they helped me put one together. But my concern is my water ready for plants? I have been using RO/DI water but my RO ready additive is not here yet. I do have Florish ready to add but I wanted you guys to let me know if I should start dosing it before the plants get here? Below is my water parameters I'm using red sea test kits my nitrate kit didn't come with the kit so I had to order one, its also not here yet

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
PH: 7.2
Nitrate:?
Phosphate:0
GH: 10
I wouldnt put any fertilizers in without plants. You will need N.P.K. in some form or another as well as your trace elements and co2. Also whatever it is you are adding to re-constitute the ro water. You should probably get a Nitrate test kit too.

Filstar Pimp #61

29 tall, 130w/cpf, Pressurized co2, XP2, ADA amazonia substrate, ph 5.9-6.3, gh,3 kh3, Dosing w/Greg Watson ferts, using the estimative index method. temp. 78-82.
4 ottos, 2 sae's, 1 clown loach, 8 cardinal tetras, 9 rasbora espy's, 2 botia sidthimunki, 2 tuxedo gouramies, 4 amano shrimp, 3 cherry shrimp
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Filters View Post
I wouldnt put any fertilizers in without plants. You will need N.P.K. in some form or another as well as your trace elements and co2. Also whatever it is you are adding to re-constitute the ro water. You should probably get a Nitrate test kit too.

No I have not been putting ferts in yet. my GH is around 10 which its medium hard water so thats why I have been doing the c02. My nitrate kit is in the mail. I looked up N.P.K. and as you know its a fert. I have florish why would I use that also? My RO right is also in the mail, shouldn't that be enough to get the minerals in the water?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 04:05 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehl2229 View Post
No I have not been putting ferts in yet. my GH is around 10 which its medium hard water so thats why I have been doing the c02. My nitrate kit is in the mail. I looked up N.P.K. and as you know its a fert. I have florish why would I use that also? My RO right is also in the mail, shouldn't that be enough to get the minerals in the water?
I'm not familiar with Flourish. But I think it is your trace elements, not your Potassium, Nitrate and Phosphate(NPK) Do a little more reading around here and you will get it straightened out.
Co2 provides carbon which is a necessary element for plants to grow. It will lower your ph. I'm not sure that it does anything to your gh.

Filstar Pimp #61

29 tall, 130w/cpf, Pressurized co2, XP2, ADA amazonia substrate, ph 5.9-6.3, gh,3 kh3, Dosing w/Greg Watson ferts, using the estimative index method. temp. 78-82.
4 ottos, 2 sae's, 1 clown loach, 8 cardinal tetras, 9 rasbora espy's, 2 botia sidthimunki, 2 tuxedo gouramies, 4 amano shrimp, 3 cherry shrimp
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 04:18 PM
Algae Grower

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ighlight=macro

Filstar Pimp #61

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

OK I am listening to all of you and ordered all this stuff but I need help on dosing Do I need to test for any of this stuff? Or just dose once a week during water change? And should I use measuring spoons and just dump it in the tank or add it to my make up water first? And does it disolve quick? But since I am using RO/DI should I be adding anything to the water like RO right? It feels like I have my SPS reef tank back with all this stuff

Plantex CSM+B 1lb.
KN03 Potassium Nitrate 1lb.
KH2P04 Mono Potassium Phosphate 1lb.
K2S04 Potassium Sulfate 1lb.
Iron Chelate
Magnesium Sulfate
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

BUMP
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode