Dose too much Florish Excel, dead fish? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
Dose too much Florish Excel, dead fish?

Darn it, I dose a little too much Exel and now my fishes are dying as I speak. I dose 1.5 capeful of exel in a 10 gallon, right after I did a 40% water change. You guys think I dose too much exel along with the water change that's why I got dead fishes?

Also what chemical are in exel that could kill fish if dose too much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 04:25 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
It could be... Do a 50% water change immediately...

Excel has a chemical that's a lot like formaldehyde in it ( the stuff you use to embalm dead things)..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Ouch! I capfull = 60 gallons if I remember correctly!! (or was it 50 gallons?)

Definitely do a LARGE water change! You can still save the remaining fish!!

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
My Excel bottle bottle says 1 capful for 10 gallons. That's probably not the reason your fish are dead.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 06:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to retoid Send a message via MSN to retoid
You are dosing to much thats for sure, I would also check your water params.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 07:04 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsnowdaboy View Post
Darn it, I dose a little too much Exel and now my fishes are dying as I speak. I dose 1.5 capeful of exel in a 10 gallon, right after I did a 40% water change. You guys think I dose too much exel along with the water change that's why I got dead fishes?
Excel is a dilute form of glutalaldehyde. It's a disenfectant.

You dosed too much Excel!

Seachem's recommended dosing for 10 gallons of water calls for 5 mL after a water change and then 1 mL daily after that.

Your 10g tank probably contains about 8½ gallons. The dosing for this amount is 4.3 mL after a water change and 0.9 mL daily after that.

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

They're all dead, that sucks. It's got to be the florish because I've had these fish for 6+ months with no problems. Little neons are now jumbo size and I do everything the same....Exept I added Florish Exel this time.

There goes another lesson learned the hard way. I was doing so good to for a year now since I got back into the hobby, this was a step backwards.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 09:50 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
For the future.. DOn't dose excel at all if you have tetras.. It seems like they're pretty sensitive to the stuff

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

My 10 was doing good too the way it was with low light plants. I was just wondering how much improvement it would make with exel. Oh well, I got plenty of neons left in my so called Quarantined tanks, so when the water is good I'll just put them in the 10 minus the exel. Darn I really wanted to see how big I can grow these neons too. I got them when they were just so tiny and they are big and fat now. I've always wonder how long it takes for them to get to the so called "jumbo" size.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
Yeah, .5ml for 10g. You dosed about 3.75ml or over 7 times the recommended amount. That will absolutely kill your fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen
For the future.. DOn't dose excel at all if you have tetras.. It seems like they're pretty sensitive to the stuff
Do you have any evidence to back this up? Myself and hundreds of other people on this forum have dosed Excel (even overdosed, but not to the extent in this thread) with all kinds of tetras with no problems whatsoever.

Sol
90gal non-planted - gone - It sprung a leak and shattered

- 6 neons, lots of RCS, a few CRS, 3 Ottos, oogles of snails

- 100+ CRS, Red Ramshorn Snails

Questions about dosing nano tanks? Please
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 11:34 PM

PTrader: (4/100%)
Normally that would not be enough to kill fish. Lots of people overdose 2 to 3x normal dosage for various reasons without problems.

What size bottle are you dosing from? Seachem mistakenly still uses the same label on all their bottles and if you are dosing from a bottle bigger than 500ml then the caps are way bigger than 5ml each. In this case instead of dosing 7.5 ml you may have dosed 20 to 30 ml which might explain the problem.

Sorry about losing your fish,
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsnowdaboy View Post

Also what chemical are in exel that could kill fish if dose too much?
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 12:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to retoid Send a message via MSN to retoid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post

I have been dosing excel in my tank and it has 4 tetras, never had any trouble, extremely healthy fish. You can introduce it slower to the tank and most fish will adapt if done properly.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (55/98%)
I think it was something else that did your fish.
I've done the spot treatment with excel - 10 ml on anubias - in a 10G with sherry shrimp and endlers and no casualties.
Just my 2 cents.
Rafo

We made it !!
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 01:49 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to JHipkin
I had an outbreak of BBA and hair algae. I spot treated for a while and have been dosing 4 capfulls in my 20 gallon tank every morning for the last couple of weeks. The algae is no longer an issue and my 5 cardinal tetras are doing great. I also think something else got to your fish.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 02:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
I'm starting to think there must be different strength Excel forumlas out there. The one I have recommends one capful for 60 gallons. 4 capfuls in a 20g of the stuff I have would wipe EVERYTHING out. JHipkin, what's the recommended dosage on your bottle?

Sol
90gal non-planted - gone - It sprung a leak and shattered

- 6 neons, lots of RCS, a few CRS, 3 Ottos, oogles of snails

- 100+ CRS, Red Ramshorn Snails

Questions about dosing nano tanks? Please

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode