How's this sound? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to VirgoWolf
How's this sound?

OK, so I am still learning the ins and outs of planted tanks. I have been reading alot about ferts and CO2 and such (Thanks for the help Rex) and learning all I can before I make the big change. (Going from 1x 18gal low tech planted tank to 7 various planted tanks, among my non planted tanks as well)

I want to do this right, so I am asking you guys to help me plan this out. I will list any info I think may help and feel free to ask for any additional info.

The setups:

Size: 5.5gal
Lighting: 3.2wpg
Stock: Betta
Substrate: Soilmaster Select

Size: 6gal
Lighting: 1.3wpg
Stock: Betta
Substrate: Eco Complete

Size: 10gal
Lighting: 4wpg
Stock: 7+ Galaxy Rasboras, might move my L187b or some otos here as well

Lighting: 2.6wpg
Stock: Growout (currently GBR fry)

Lighting: 2.6wpg
Stock: 2 Bettas (devided)

Size: 29gal
Lighting: 2.2wpg
Stock: Livebarers and Cherry Shrimp
Substrate: Soilmaster Select

Size: 75gal
Lighting: 1.8wpg
Stock: SA Community

Mind you some of the lighting will be upgraded at some point, expecially the 75gal. As soon as my BGK is big enough to go in my 220gal without getting harassed by my big boys, I'll be selling my 55gal setup and getting a nice light setup for the 75gal.

The Plants:
This is a list of the plants I currently have or will soon be aquiring, I am open to suggestions for new plants as well. Forgive the rough list.

Rotala rotundifolia
Bacopa carolinana
wisteria
ludwiga repens / red ludwigia
frogbit
myriophyllum
hemanthius micranthemoides / Pearlweed
Riccia
Java Moss
Guppy Grass
Melon swords
dwarf sag
micro sword
jave fern
vals (corkscrew etc...)
anubias nana
green hygro
narrow leaf chain sword

I also will have plenty of the following ferts:
flourish root tabs
Flourish Comprehensive
Flourish Excel
Leafzone
and some Greg Watson dry ferts such as:
Potassium Nitrate
Potassium Sulfate
Mono Potassium Phosphate

And here is what I know so far about the CO2 system I am buying:
10 lb aluminum tank
Regulator w/soleniod & bubble counter, controller
pH controller (Omega INDUSTRIAL Style) w/ lab grade probe
inline reactor

So is there anything I am missing? Any suggestions as to which plants would do better with which tanks and which tanks I should hook the CO2 up to or anything I need to change, etc...? I can always change things around a bit if need be.

Last edited by VirgoWolf; 03-16-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 09:30 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would suggest adding some crypts to at least the lower wpg tanks. Crypts come in many sizes. Retrospiralis is great for a background in a tall tank, wendtii can pretty much go in any tank. They are a very easy plant to grow, esp in lower light with little ferts and no CO2.

Dwarf hairgrass is a good foreground choice that is pretty easy. I have it growing in my 29 with co2 and high light and my 10 with medium light and excel. You may want to research Blyxa japonica.

I would get a couple of the brighter red plants like Alternanthera reineckii, Ludwigia glandulosa, or Rotala macrandra for some contrast so all of your tanks aren't green.

Also consider using different color substrates in a couple, like cheap sand, so that they don't all look like the same tank.

You could be trying for the same look but I personally like to mix it up.

Rex has some equipment that makes it possible to connect more than one tank to a CO2 setup so you may try that.

My favorite plants:

Alternanthera reineckii
dwarf hairgrass
anubias nana "petite"
Stargrass
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 09:34 PM

Also try this link to the aquascaping contest. They have plant lists so you can preview what you are getting with each plant and learn some aquascaping pointers.

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.or...tegory=0&vol=0

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, I'll look into those plants. I have considered some of them, but as I mentioned, the plants I listed are just what I have or will be getting from a couple people who are getting out of planted tanks, so I can always get more plants.

As for the substrate, I do have soilmaster select available as well (and some peat) that I might use in one or two of the tanks. The reason I went with the Eco for them all is that I am getting a really good deal on a large portion of eco, so I just figured I might as well use it all. I am not one for uniform tanks either, so I might take your suggestion there and use the soilmaster, maybe one of the betta tanks and one of the 10gals or something?

I did plan on slpitting the CO2 to at least 2 tanks. I checked out Rex's site and might go through him, but I think I will wait untill I get the system and check it out before I look into manifolds and such.

Anyone else have any advice/suggestions for me? I am really interested in hearing from those of you who have had sucess with similar setups, but any comments you may have are appreciated.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

OK, I made a couple changes to the plans. I eliminated the 5gal because I really am not fond of the system. I swapped it for a devided 10gal that can house 2 of my bettas and plan to use the moss wall technique as a devider to obstruct their view of eachother.

I also decided to take Ken's advice and mix it up just a bit by using soilmaster select for the 5.5gal and the 29gal. Considering using it for the 6gal as well, but since (for now) the 5.5gal and 6gal will be on either side of our bed, I'd kinda like them to be distinct. (5.5gal with a dark colored betta and 6gal with a very light colored betta, so I figure oposites for the substrate)

So what do you all think? Is the moss wall devider a good idea? And more ideas for plants and such? I won't be purchasing any other plants untill I have all the ones I will be getting over the next couple weeks all planted, but I definitly want to have ideas for what esle will work with my setups.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 06:38 PM

I think a moss wall divider is a good idea for bettas.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode