New Member - Advice Please? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Member - Advice Please?

Hi all,

I have a 65Gal tank - 36x18x24. I have 192W CoraLife lights. CO2 Equipment on the way. This fixture gets very hot so I will be mounting it on legs. I was going to go with an open top but I don't want my fish to escape. So if I use the CL adjustable legs, with a top, will 192W CL lights be a good amount of lighting for a 24" deep tank? Will I be able to grow a wide variety of plants? Can anyone recommend a foreground cover plant that will suceed under these conditions (192W CL fixture, 24" deep tank, eco-complete, press. CO2.)?

I plan on having a betta or 2 so if I did use an open top is there any way to ensure they will not leap? I thought I read once that using LED's on the top of the tank have worked in keeping fish from leaping. Any thoughts?

Thanks all,

Randy B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Weel first off you will not want to have 2 bettas in your tank otherwise they will fight each other. Also all my tanks are open tops and yet to have any fish that jumped out. Did have some missing due to the cat thinking it was open fishing season. My beta in my 55g never tried to escape.

Filstar Pimp #27

"Insert your own tag line here"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
...2 Betta...make sure they are both female, and about the same size...get them both (or up to 4) at the same time. An older female will pick on a smaller female...sometimes ending in death. If you have one female, then get 2 or more new females, so that way one won't be picked on all the time. I have had 2 female Betta in a 5.5g tank for about a yr now with no trouble...well, actually I lost one to dropsy, but replaced her shortly after.

Sorry, no advice on plants as I am just starting a planted tank...low tech...no co2.

Life is a Roller Coaster...Enjoy the Ride!!!
Not Nearly Enough Tanks...Not Nearly Enough Room!!!
Breeding and Showing Betta since 2008

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
even multiple females isn't really a good mix. It can be done. then again so can two males. it really all boils down to the temperment of the individual fish and tank size. But I'd still not reccomend it.
As for jumping. the reason why bettas jump is because of poor water conditions. in the wild if the water they are in is stagnant or just foul they will jump to another patch of water to find one that is suitable.
In the home this is the leap of death.
Bettas don't "just jump" as most LFS people would have you think. (they never just say your wrong or screwed up, they make a reason why its not your fault so they can sell you another fish)

Your lighting should be suitable for most plants. and yes you do want to use the leggs to raise the fixture off the glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. I suppose I will try my luck with an open top.

As for the betta's, 1M and 1F don't often get along with one another? I had heard that they can. Perhaps I am mistaken. I am planning on 6-10 cory's and a BN pleco as well. What other schooling fish would be ideal with these tankmates? Any suggestions?

Thanks again.
Randy B.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Males don't get along with anything and only females when it comes time to breed but even then it's not nice.

Tetras and such are the rave with planted tanks.

FUNction over form

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksunshine View Post
even multiple females isn't really a good mix. It can be done. then again so can two males. it really all boils down to the temperment of the individual fish and tank size. But I'd still not reccomend it.
As for jumping. the reason why bettas jump is because of poor water conditions. in the wild if the water they are in is stagnant or just foul they will jump to another patch of water to find one that is suitable.
In the home this is the leap of death.
Bettas don't "just jump" as most LFS people would have you think. (they never just say your wrong or screwed up, they make a reason why its not your fault so they can sell you another fish)

Your lighting should be suitable for most plants. and yes you do want to use the leggs to raise the fixture off the glass.
You are right about temperment of the individual betta (male and female alike)...I have a male betta "Rover" and he is sooo passive. I put him in a divided tank to get pictures of him flaring...nothing...a mirror in his tank...nothing...now put a female (safely in a cup), and he will "dance" and flare all day! In a 65g, I think there would be enough room to have 2 or 3 (not wanting to get into a debate), and they would be ok...there is, as with anything, a pecking order, and the females will establish how is the dominant female.

The choice is up to you if you want to put 2 or more female betta in your tank...just make sure there is enough hiding places for the non-doninant female.

All of my Betta tanks are open top. I just make sure that when I feed, I don't let them "jump" to get the food...the water quailty would be the only reason they would "move" to different water..ie jumping out of the bowl...why do you think petstores keep them covered?

Life is a Roller Coaster...Enjoy the Ride!!!
Not Nearly Enough Tanks...Not Nearly Enough Room!!!
Breeding and Showing Betta since 2008
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 06:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (71/100%)
Hi, just a note that if you are talking about the adjustable legs made by coralife, like these :http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...lemountinglegs
I wanted to let you know that you can't use them with a glass top. I have them on a few tanks and had to take off the glass tops to use them. The regular legs made for the aqualight fixtures can be used with a glass top though, just not the adjustable ones.
John
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Yes, thanks John
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 09:18 PM

Randy - I've converted my tanks to open top a couple of months ago and haven't had any problems with corys and dwarf neon rainbows in one tank and 1 male betta and 5 glow light tetras in the other.

For a schooling fish in a 65g planted tank I have to say get rainbow fish. Any kind will do in a tank that size but I'd get Boesmani.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Hi Ken,

I originally was going to do a rainbow tank, however, my tank is only 36" in length. Wouldn't most rainbows, including boesmani's want the 4 foot+ length? What are you thoughts?

Thanks.

RandyB.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode