Need "the best" CO2 recipe! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need "the best" CO2 recipe!

I just purchased the Hagen CO2 system for my tank, and soon realized those bastards had included expired yeast packets! Regardless, I was planning to use my own recipe, and by "my own" I obviously mean "your own" best recipe! I have read about the following:

-Sugar (white or brown, any opinions?) to the first line
-1 teaspoon of yeast (champagne? Does it matter?)
-a bit more than 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
-Fill with warm water to the second line, and good to go.

Any changes you recommend?

Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 08:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
You probably don't need the baking soda. I don't use it, I hear it can make the mix foam up. I use less yeast too, 1/4 tsp in a 2 litre.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
try tigerlily ot inng they sound good, i try with jello it made the co2 go nuts finally what i wanted cause usually i add alot of yeast but its still sucky

One month in.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (32/100%)
Don't know if you have seen this thread:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...2-recipes.html

but it covers using the original Hagen bottle, not a 2L bottle, as many have used. You will see that most of them use a lot less yeast, and baking soda is not always used.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 10:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
I used to use Champagn Yeast and 2 cups of sugar.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 11:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Gelatin along with the norm

FUNction over form

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Definitely use Champagne yeast - lasts longer because it's designed to survive high acidity and alcohol levels, also foams at the bottom instead of at the top so less chance of yeast in the tank.

Definitely add a little Baking Soda - it buffers the solution so it takes longer for the solution to become so acidic that it kills the yeast. How much you need depends on the hardness of the water you use.

Tips: Keep your yeast in the freezer so it doesn't die. It will take several hours for it to get going.

Don't use water that's too hot! If it's too hot, it will kill yeast! You want the temp between 70-90F. If in doubt, go for cooler, it will just delay the activity of the yeast a little.

Don't use too much yeast! Less is more, I used only 1/8 tsp of Champagne yeast for a 2-liter bottle. Also, keep the sludge at the bottle as there's live yeast in there.

Cold room = slower production, warm room = faster production. You'll always get more CO2 during the summer, you may want to warm the bottle if it gets really really cold where you live in winter.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 01:47 AM

And let the jell-o harden up before using it. And remember to use a extra bottle to collect the sludge or else you'll end up with the jell-o from hell recipe (aka-my tank)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 02:36 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLilly View Post
And let the jell-o harden up before using it. And remember to use a extra bottle to collect the sludge or else you'll end up with the jell-o from hell recipe (aka-my tank)
I'd bet that if you could freeze your JELL-O tanks and place them outside that all the cats and opossums for miles around would come around for a treat. I'd also bet on a few raccoons as well.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 02:45 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLilly View Post
And let the jell-o harden up before using it...
All kidding aside; I read a long time ago that a person using the JELL-O formula hardened theirs in the fridge and then cut it up into small chuncks that were small enough to fit past the mouth of a juice bottle. Then the yeast was added (but I think the yeast was added to warm water and then poured in, but I'm not positive). I wish I new where the article was. It worked well for this person.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 03:15 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I add a little phosphate & nitrate. Regular bread yeast will do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 04:00 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left C View Post
All kidding aside; I read a long time ago that a person using the JELL-O formula hardened theirs in the fridge and then cut it up into small chuncks that were small enough to fit past the mouth of a juice bottle. Then the yeast was added (but I think the yeast was added to warm water and then poured in, but I'm not positive). I wish I new where the article was. It worked well for this person.
This thread:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...o2-thread.html
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 02:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
i found that adding a protien source to the mix helps keep the mix producing for longer. a tablespoon of protien whey for making those health shakes that people drink when they work out is what was recommended to me but i found that anything with protiens will work ie. peanut butter, multi-vitamins etc..

15 neon tetra, 5 red phantom tetra, 11 ottocinclus, 9 cardinia japonica
AH supply lighting, Seachem and greg watson ferts, eco-complete
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyP View Post
i found that adding a protien source to the mix helps keep the mix producing for longer. a tablespoon of protien whey for making those health shakes that people drink when they work out is what was recommended to me but i found that anything with protiens will work ie. peanut butter, multi-vitamins etc..
LOLOL!! But knowing me I'd somehow end up with jell-o, peanut butter, and multi-vitamins in my tank! This is beginning to sound more and more like a cooking recipe gone to hell than a CO2 source for live plants.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 06:57 PM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbennett View Post
Don't use water that's too hot! If it's too hot, it will kill yeast! You want the temp between 70-90F. If in doubt, go for cooler, it will just delay the activity of the yeast a little.
My packet of champagne yeast says for best results, activate at 105F. I have used 100-110F water with this and with Red Star bread yeast and my mixtures start producing within 15 minutes. When they say don't use hot water, just don't use water that is scalding hot, you still want it to be warm enough so all of the yeast wakes up.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode