Co2 reactors is this meant to happen?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
axl

PTrader: (0/0%)
Co2 reactors is this meant to happen??

Hi,
i have just setup my pres Co2 on my tank, the reactor i use is hooked up to the out take pipe on the cannister. When the co2 is going in its pushing tiny bubbles out of the spray bar in the tank. Is this what its meant to do. Is this reactor disolving the co2 propley. Then the tiny bubbles release to the top of the tank and burst. Then it makes it noises in the reactor like a burp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 09:03 AM

What kind of reactor is it?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
axl

pvc tube with bio balls, connected top and bottom to the out take on the cannister

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
2 things come to mind that can cause this:
a) your filter is too strong, and the bubbles are just being forced out of the reactor.
b) the water you are feeding into the reactor is coming in from the bottom, and out through the top, in that way the bubbles just rise, and spit out. The bubbles should be rising against the flow of water to dissolve it.

HTH
Walter

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazcrash69 View Post
b) the water you are feeding into the reactor is coming in from the bottom, and out through the top, in that way the bubbles just rise, and spit out. The bubbles should be rising against the flow of water to dissolve it.

HTH
Walter
That's what it sound like to me too. If you have the outflow from your filter go in the top of the reactor and out the bottom then the bubbles won't generally be able to make it to the tank.

Brian

Eheim Pimp #134
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
And if it's newly set up there is air trapped in it that is escaping. It can take a couple of days to completely purge a new reactor. And the bio-balls actually make it worse.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 08:23 PM

Assuming that it is connected with the flow going from top to bottom, you might try tipping it over so that any trapped air can exit it. I left slack in my return lines for this very reason. Every time I clean my canister filter air gets trapped in the reactor, a quick flip clears it out.

Jon
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 01:55 AM

This is the design from my reactor. I modifed the design a little bit. I decided to leave the cap on the end of the bottle and drill a small hole in the cap for the bubbles to escape out of.

I'm 100% happy with my reactor! The bubbles come out so tiny you can hardly see them and the plants pearl like crazy.My CO2 on the other hand.........::cough cough::
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
axl

the outflow is hooked up to the bottom and comes out the top of the ovc pipe and the co2 goes in at the bottom. Its working fine now. I pushed the spray bar down in the tank and pointed it towards the sand. I have only got minimal bibbles now which is good. The ph is set at 6.8 which is giving me 37ppm of co2. cheers
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Well sounds like you have more of an injector than a reactor, but if It's working for you, great.
If you ever want to get rid of the bubbles, flip it, and inject the co2 about 1/3 - 1/2 of the way down (If you can).

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode