Help me understand the CO2 threshold please? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (43/100%)
Help me understand the CO2 threshold please?

I've heard a lot of times that CO2 becomes useful at 2.5 wpg, needed at 3 wpg.

I've also heard not to do it at 2 wpg.

I'm curious as to why that would be?

I have a tank with 2 wpg, growing swords, "Indica", crypts, some sag, java fern. Would this tank be harmed by CO2?

Trying to learn as much as I can, and am not getting this one... why no co2 at lower lighting levels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 02:43 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
CO2 will help at any light level and is required beyond 2 WPG IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingg
I've heard a lot of times that CO2 becomes useful at 2.5 wpg, needed at 3 wpg.

I've also heard not to do it at 2 wpg.

I'm curious as to why that would be?

I have a tank with 2 wpg, growing swords, "Indica", crypts, some sag, java fern. Would this tank be harmed by CO2?

Trying to learn as much as I can, and am not getting this one... why no co2 at lower lighting levels?

I have CO2(DIY) at 1.5 wpg's and it really makes a difference. I think the reason why the say no at anything lower than 2 wpg's is because Algael Blooms but I have only experienced Brown Algae(Datoms). Your plants would look soo much better with an addition of CO2, and they will be better off IMO.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 02:52 AM

PTrader: (16/94%)
I don't think your plants would be harm. If you need more information check out rex guide to a planted tank....
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 04:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Carbon is just one of the many nutrients plants need. It can come from the substrate, but only in limited quantities, so substrate CO2 is fine for low light tanks, but not for tanks with high lighting, where the plants are forced by the light to try to grow much faster. Flourish Excel is a source of carbon for the plants, but not at the same level as we can get CO2 to in the water. I suspect that is because Excel is toxic if you tried to jack up the level that high. So, Excel is good for relatively low light tanks. CO2 is needed for high light tanks, because we can supply enough to not limit the plant growth. But, soil as a source of carbon is used in all tanks if it is there. Excel will add some carbon for all tanks. And, CO2 adds carbon for all tanks. As long as the level of CO2 in the water is not so high as to harm the fish, it is fine for any tank, and as long as Excel is not dosed too much beyond the bottle recommendation it is fine for all tanks. All of this being my opinion, of course.

Hoppy
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 04:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I would run co2 or some sort of carbon supplement in any planted tank more than ~1wpg and that's because I don't plants would do any good in less than that.

FUNction over form

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode