any insight in keeping groundcover planted in a discus tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (11/100%)
Question any insight in keeping groundcover planted in a discus tank?

OK, I've been spending a lot of time getting the ground cover planted in my discus tank only to find it floating at the top a little while later. (Somehow, my fish seem to think my digging in a spot makes it even more interesting and requires further investigation, kinda like a cat needing to use the litterbox right after it is cleaned!) I often have an audiance with all the fish (tetra's, discus, cories, etc.) gathering around the spot while I'm planting!

Does anybody have any techniques or insight on how to keep the starts planted so they can take hold, despite curious large fish? Some of my bigger plants I was able to put a small rock on, but I can't do this with the groundcovers.

Tina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Maybe get some light difussers or netting to put above the foreground till it roots.

FUNction over form

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
What type of substrate do you use? I use all flourite (between 2.5 to 3 inches) and it seems to hold pretty well.

P.S. Mine is not a discuss tank by the way.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
i have had the same problem with getting my marselia planted, but the problem wasn't so much with my discus as it was with my large BN plecos (the proverbial bull in the chinashop). I finally solved the problem by planting the the marselia nice and deep and then putting a plant weight strip on top of it. After about a week the roots will have set in and you can carefully remove the plant weights.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (11/100%)
I have fluorite and sand. It stays down... until feeding time or they get curious!

Is there a mesh type product or something I can use to keep it down?

Oh, the types of plants I'm trying is a grassy type of dwarf sag (I can't remember the name of it, but it has a really fine blade on it and stays smaller, and that water clover stuff, marisala?) I've got the more technical names written down at home!

Tina

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode