Help, thereís jell-o in my tank!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help, thereís jell-o in my tank!!

Help, thereís jell-o in my tank!!

After visiting the lfs yesterday a guy working there that was knowledgeable in plants had a suggestion as to a DIY CO2 recipe that would cut down on changing my co2. He suggested I use my current recipe but add jell-o. He said itís suppose to make the reaction last long as all the gas doesnít escape as fast. He forgot to add one thing, add a second 2liter bottle to keep the excess jell-o from going into the tank. I woke up today to find my tank had a red-tinge to the water. The fish are fish so far. Thank god! Now Iím looking for ideas as to designs of adding a second 2liter bottle to my design. Have any of you had this happen. What should I do? The plants are pearling somewhat. They have seemed to perked up since yesterday.

Yikes!! Jell-o!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
...did you let the Jell-O set a little bit?

Jello is just coloring, sugar, and gelatin. Just do WCs throughout the week and you should be fine.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 05:46 PM

PTrader: (11/100%)
LOL, I know it isn't funny, but I just got a vision of a jello mold with fish suspended in it instead of fruit!

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
fish will be fish afterall Yeah some water changes should clear it up, also change the carbon in your filter.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 09:08 PM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Jello-fish shots.....the new rage? LOL
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplosive View Post
fish will be fish afterall Yeah some water changes should clear it up, also change the carbon in your filter.
I don't use carbon.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
...did you let the Jell-O set a little bit?

Jello is just coloring, sugar, and gelatin. Just do WCs throughout the week and you should be fine.
no... That was another little peice of advice no one told me. I can say that this method make alot of co2 though.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpl*co View Post
LOL, I know it isn't funny, but I just got a vision of a jello mold with fish suspended in it instead of fruit!
LOLOL!! It's funny and its not funny at the same time. I just have some feeder guppies in there. The recipe made so much co2 that now they are gasping at the surface of the water. I want to add a air stone to the tank but I heard it was bad for the plants. Can't remember why.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLilly View Post
LOLOL!! It's funny and its not funny at the same time. I just have some feeder guppies in there. The recipe made so much co2 that now they are gasping at the surface of the water. I want to add a air stone to the tank but I heard it was bad for the plants. Can't remember why.
They say to not use airstones because it disperses CO2 which is exactly what you are trying to accomplish at this point. Also do some water changes. If you dont use carbon, its gonna be a little harder to get the color out.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
I have used a Jell-O additive to my DIY Co2 brew for several Months, and finally stopped using it. I found it interfered too much with yeast getting at the sugar, and a lot of yeast would die thus Co2 generation ended a lot sooner than expected. I find that water, sugar and a teaspoon of Seachem's Neutral Regulator 7.0 powder works best at giving me a good 3 weeks of bubbles without even having to shake the bottle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

I just did a test on the water. Here's the readings...

pH-off the charts (over 8.4)
KH-off the charts (over 300)
GH-300
no2-10
no3-200
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 12:03 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Wouldn't the jello/yeast concoction smell horrible?

Gelatin is basically animal protein and they spoil really easily... And it'll smell like something died.

I've had my DIY yeast CO2 thing running for 3 weeks now and it looks like it'll go for another week or more... I put in a teaspoon solution of my KNO3 & KH2PO4 with plenty of sugar. The ferts help the yeast make more yeast.

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Wouldn't the jello/yeast concoction smell horrible?
Actually there is no smell, maybe because it has only been in there for a short time.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 01:13 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
are you using plain geletin? there is stuff called KNOX. its just straight up geletin, nothing else.

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Hereís the bottle that collects the jell-o and yeast sludge

Hereís the co2 bottles themselves. That other two are empty because currently it is running on a 10gal. If I filled all three with yeast I think Iíd kill my fish. The other two are for when I transplant the plants from the 10gal into the 55gal

Some shots of the glosso

A pic of the new plant. Anyone know what it is?

A full tank shot. Notice the cloudiness

This is the L. rebens today. Is it normal for this plant to do this?

Hereís some of the glosso floating in its new home in the 55gal. I will plant it when I can see through the water. I just pulled the glosso from the 10gal that was growing upright. I left the ones that were growing horizontal.

I also let the java moss float in the 55gal. I didnít have room for it in the 10gal. The guy at the lfs gave me so much of it. It will be tied onto three pieces of driftwood I have in the tank.

Hereís the tank viewed from above

A full tank shot. The brown water is caused by the top soil. It will be topped with sand once it settles. There are actually three pieces of driftwood in there now and a large rock, although you canít tell worth a darn. Lol! If you want to be technical two of the pieces of driftwood are actually sand blasted grape-vine from the reptile section at the lfs . It has been soaking in a 26gal garbage can since January. The other piece is fake driftwood from petsmart.

Angle shot

A shot of the whole set up. The tank is actually sitting on a scaffold until I get the stand. The lighting is a 300watt halogen shop light. Again, temporary until I get two fluorescent shop light fixtures with two 40watt bulbs each. Not the ideal situation, but it will have to do.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode