SAEs - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
SAEs

How many Siamese Algae Eaters would you recommend to have in a 120 and a 55 gallon tank? they are both heavily planted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 11:47 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have 3 in my 110. Not sure how established your tank is, but early on they are invaluable. Some say they get aggressive as they get older but I have yet to see it in my tank. I think they are a very interesting fish and look very nice when the light hits them perfectly. They sparkle gold that contrasts nicely with their black stripe.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota15 View Post
I have 3 in my 110. Not sure how established your tank is, but early on they are invaluable. Some say they get aggressive as they get older but I have yet to see it in my tank. I think they are a very interesting fish and look very nice when the light hits them perfectly. They sparkle gold that contrasts nicely with their black stripe.
do you have true SAEs or Chinese algae eaters?...SO you only keep 3 in 110? how old is your tank? mine is not super mature but it has a lot of algae for them...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 01:18 AM

I have 5 true SAEs in a 55 Gal. I supplement thier diet with algae wafers, plus the flake they catch, but they spend all day grazing. Mine are 1-2 years old, and the bigger ones definitely flash gold when the light hits them right. They also have not gotten more aggressive as they have gotten older, although there's certainly a pecking order and the biggest will push the others away from food.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 01:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
Ya the true SAE's do not get agressive as they get older. One thing to note though is that they do eat mosses. I have 5 adults in a 120gal, 5 in a 75, and 5 in a 55. They will happily (maybe to happily) eat regular fish food so you don't have to worry to much about getting to many
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 01:39 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Note that there is a difference between true SAE (aka siamese flying fox), false SAE, flying foxes, and Chinese algae eaters. The true SAE will have a black stripe running down it's side all the way to the end of the tail, with no white stripes above it. Also, the stripe will be kinda ragged along the edges, like a zigzag shape, and the true SAE will have those 2 tiny barbels.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblongshrimp View Post
Ya the true SAE's do not get agressive as they get older. One thing to note though is that they do eat mosses. I have 5 adults in a 120gal, 5 in a 75, and 5 in a 55. They will happily (maybe to happily) eat regular fish food so you don't have to worry to much about getting to many
thanks... I was planning on having 8-10 on my 120....and I thought I needed a few more.... I always want more, I have to learn to control myself..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrona View Post
Note that there is a difference between true SAE (aka siamese flying fox), false SAE, flying foxes, and Chinese algae eaters. The true SAE will have a black stripe running down it's side all the way to the end of the tail, with no white stripes above it. Also, the stripe will be kinda ragged along the edges, like a zigzag shape, and the true SAE will have those 2 tiny barbels.
ok lets end this here about IDing true SAEs... lets focus on my main question...
Thanks
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 04:33 AM
Algae Grower

I had 4 in my 55 gallon and they did a GREAT job.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 05:53 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
I have 6 in a 75G. They wont fix a major algae problem but definately good to have.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode